Rabbit Round Least Affected By Wind

Hi, I'm just pondering with the idea of a round to head shot rabbits up to 100yds which isn't affected by the wind.

I have a HMR which does a brilliant job of head shooting rabbits at that range, but it's a bit of a ponce really as its petrified of the wind - so petrified that it stays indoors when even it's just a light breeze outside. It's allergic to the air around us traveling at any slight speed.

However I have a 223 which I have been having some issues with, that some of you will recall. I still haven't had time to get different ammo to try in it, or a chance to reload any.

My thought is that I could either reload a bunny round for the 223 or put in for a variation.

The next question is which caliber?? The 223 was purchased for fox, that's why I have it - but I could reload bunny bullets as mentioned.

If I were to put in for a variation for a caliber to shoot rabbits in the head at up to 100yds on windy days what should it be? Naturally it would include the permission to shoot fox as well if suitable.

I don't mind if all roads lead to centrefire @ £1.20+ a bang, it still works out cheaper than 2x beefburgers from the butcher - and it's more fun.

Today it's blowing gusts of up to 40mph with about a 15mph breeze in between, I'd like to go bunny shooting to get one for tea, but I can't, not unless it's with the 12g!!

Let the discussion commence

My mate uses his .223 and tbh its way to much on rabbits even if you reload light depending on your twist rate your rifle may not like light loads, I queried this a while back with my feo who said no centre fire should be used for this to be truthful.

there isn't such a rifle at the moment but the hornets may be more suited but I think you'll just have to like it and lump it with the hmr, a shoulder shot bunny is still fine with the hmr but anywhere else other than a headshot with .223 equals red mist and guts and legs/paws flying all over the place.

I know you said 100 yards in really windy conditions, but when its really windy you can get much closer to them.

.22lr for me, shoot them up to 100 yards in light winds. And get a bit closer when its really blowing. Cheap to feed and really quiet... :thumbs:

I have a .22lr and .223 and they are a perfect combination for me...I need no more or no less...

• Like 3

Well lad,I have a .22LR and a .223 ! There is no better craic than out with the rimfire shooting subs at close range rabbits on a summers evening ! For long range rabbits I use American Eagle FMJ in the .223 and the bullets go straight through them but drop them on the spot with no meat damage . The .22 Rimfire and the .223 centerfire are the only rifles I will ever need !

If you run the figures through gun data, a 35gr V Max Hornet has 1/2 the wind drift of a 50gr WMR (10mph 90 degree crosswind) @ 100 yds.

4.7 vs 2.8 inches.

You're best bet might be a .17 Remington.

1/2 the wind drift of .22 Hornet @ 100 yds in the scenario above. Bullets used 35gr Vmax Hornet vs 20gr Remington Accutip.

Windage is 2.8 inches vs 1.1 inches.

Tables:

160q4uq.jpg

20qbdzq.jpg

Edited by Alsone

Hi, I'm just pondering with the idea of a round to head shot rabbits up to 100yds which isn't affected by the wind.

I have a HMR which does a brilliant job of head shooting rabbits at that range, but it's a bit of a ponce really as its petrified of the wind - so petrified that it stays indoors when even it's just a light breeze outside. It's allergic to the air around us traveling at any slight speed.

However I have a 223 which I have been having some issues with, that some of you will recall. I still haven't had time to get different ammo to try in it, or a chance to reload any.

My thought is that I could either reload a bunny round for the 223 or put in for a variation.

The next question is which caliber?? The 223 was purchased for fox, that's why I have it - but I could reload bunny bullets as mentioned.

If I were to put in for a variation for a caliber to shoot rabbits in the head at up to 100yds on windy days what should it be? Naturally it would include the permission to shoot fox as well if suitable.

I don't mind if all roads lead to centrefire @ £1.20+ a bang, it still works out cheaper than 2x beefburgers from the butcher - and it's more fun.

Today it's blowing gusts of up to 40mph with about a 15mph breeze in between, I'd like to go bunny shooting to get one for tea, but I can't, not unless it's with the 12g!!

Let the discussion commence

Leave the guns in the cabinet when it's windy and get yourself a lurcher.

• Like 2