Good Shotgun For Starting Out?

I'm looking to buy a shotgun for shooting game and wondered if anyone could recommend a good gun.

I was looking at a Beretta Ultralight which was around £1700, but I've decided it's probably wise to buy something much cheaper to make sure I enjoy using a shotgun before investing too much. If I really do get into it then I can buy a better gun soon and I also have a spare!

You think this is a decent idea?

I would preferably like something that is pretty light, as compact as possible and that is of decent quality.

Any recommendations on a gun to start out with?

Yes a gun that fits you! Buy a Purdey but if it does not fit you will shoot like a tw*t, I dont really get this,"buy a cheap gun to start out with mindset" why go to all the trouble of buying a gun making sure it fits, learning to shoot with it, only to swap it in 12 months later for a more expensive model, that possibly does not suit you as well, if you have a £2000 budget for instance, go and try various guns in your price range and below, if you see something you really like, and it does not fit well, negotiate gun fit into the asking price, I cannot stress enough how important correct gun fit is :yes:

• Like 3

Make sure you try some guns. Generally people tend to fall into 2 camps - Browning or Berretta for balance.

So no better place to start than there.

Find a clay ground or a dealership with a range and ask to try each. Find what you like then match something to your price range. If you like Browning then Miroku and Winchester will also probably float your boat and are cheaper if you can't afford a Browning. If you like Beretta but need a cheaper alternative, then Benelli and Franchi may also float your boat.

Also, be aware that the lighter the gun, the greater the recoil.

For general sporting / clay use 28 or 30" barrels. Trap 30 or 32". Game, anything from 26-30". The shorter the gun, the faster it swings, the longer the gun, the slower but the longer the sighting plain and the more steadily and smoother it swings. Personally, I like a 30" barrel.

Edited by Alsone
  • 1 month later...