Any Advice ?

jesscal

I have a 11month old beddy whippet 1st cross, and is from working parents and has had a couple of rabbits, she has recently started hunting on her own and completely ignoring any recall commands, I can be within 10ft or her and she rushes past nose down, I had to catch on the way past earlier today. I have been told to give her a shake by the stuff but has not worked so far. Any ideas as she is really keen and good in all other deployments

Best bet would be to take the dog where there are no scents to distract it and get the recall sorted before taking it out again. At the minute she's realised that hunting is way more fun than obeying you and you're just reinforcing the fact that she can piss about without you if you don't.

It might be worth a few boring walks around the local park if it stops the problem

• Like 1

Don't shake her by the scruff of her neck....bad advice.

You want a dog to be happy when they come back to you. I know it can push most people to boiling point when a dog continually ignores you....., but you have hide your frustration from the dog. The dog won't relate the shaking to not coming back to you, in fact quite the opposite.....and it has another reason not to come back to you.

Take it away from rabbits and work on recall and praise....don't over do it....make it a game... I'm sure there's plenty on the Internet...YouTube etc about recall training. Forget hunting for the time being.

• Like 3

Don't shake her by the scruff of her neck....bad advice.

You want a dog to be happy when they come back to you. I know it can push most people to boiling point when a dog continually ignores you....., but you have hide your frustration from the dog. The dog won't relate the shaking to not coming back to you, in fact quite the opposite.....and it has another reason not to come back to you.

Take it away from rabbits and work on recall and praise....don't over do it....make it a game... I'm sure there's plenty on the Internet...YouTube etc about recall training. Forget hunting for the time being.

Her recall is pretty good when not near the scrub, I'm probably a bit eager as I am new to this game, Might stick to parks for a while, we'll see

Beddy x whippet f1 can be a bit headstrong mate, its half terrier and that's your problem, ask anyone who's had one its not uncommon, i stopped hunting,especially lamping with one lad because his beddy/whippets drove me nuts, and he wasn't a capable fella to be honest. They do make good catch dogs and usually have a lot of drive, i wouldn't knock them for that at all, just ignorant twats when they get their heads down.

What you need is some way of breaking the dogs one track mind when its on a scent and ignoring you, easier than you think, buy/make a catapult with fairly soft bands, but not to soft, something like Dankung 3050 singles (the lads in the catty section will help on that) then get some plastic practice ammo, or aniseed balls, practice until you're a decent shot, then when your bitch is in range and acts up, give her a smack on the arse, not to hurt her, just so it smarts a bit and gets her attention, it wont do any mental damage with a headstrong dog, it teaches the dog you are in charge even when it knows you can't catch it, and they don't seem to hold it against you like a hiding, mainly because you have to get them to come or catch them to dish out a hiding which just confuses a dog, it comes back to you then gets a pasting, stupid end of, with the catty you punish while its doing wrong, so it understands why its being punished. When it understands that a shot from the catty smarts a bit, and its doing something you don't like, buy some marbles, walk it near trees/bushes, shoot into the bushes over its head, marbles make plenty of noise, they soon get the idea without having to actually hit them with the catty, unless they're brain dead that is? I do this with mine and they're very obediant, not beddy/whippet but its in them both, done right you should get a vast improvement. Hope that's useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Be patient and try to keep calm my beddy bull grey was a nightmare up until a month or so ago now he doesn't hunt up and retrieves. He was that bad he used to feck off with any rabbit he caught and went and hid it. Quite often I thought about giving up on him but he is doing fine now. He is 2 1/2 years old. As mad as it seems he basically changed over night .

Edited by Allan P

Be patient and try to keep calm my beddy bull grey was a nightmare up until a month or so ago now he doesn't hunt up and retrieves. He was that bad he used to feck off with any rabbit he caught and went and hid it. Quite often I thought about giving up on him but he is doing fine now. He is 2 1/2 years old. As mad as it seems he basically changed over night .

"

"Leave it to chance" then mate, that's your advice lol.

Something like that Truther I'm not a very good shot with catapult. What I meant was use the good advice given so that rules yours out Truther and be calm and patient. Most lurchers I know and the 2 I have owned both with beddy blood have Hunted on thrown a deaf un as pups and been hard-work. But stick with it and all will come good eventually. Or blind it with an aniseed ball its your call jesscal. Sorry forgot the patronising LOL at the end. Lol.

Edited by Allan P

Thanks for the advice. We're staying off the rabbits and concentrating on the recall, not bought a catapult yet tho ! also going down the canal so 1 side is water the other is 20-30 yards wide and mostly fenced off. Making progress for now

• Like 1