Woodcock

Well the rabbits are still in abundance on my local golf course which is good for sport but so too are the woodcocks....i mean lots of them. Ive seen them at dawn..dusk and even while lamping but im not sure about the rules on shooting them with an air rifle on the ground.

I know its the season but i dont want to cross any legal boundries.

Has anyone else come across this one as some good sound advice is always welcomed from my shooting brothers on here.

Kind regards as always.

Matt

my advice would be stick to the task in hand keeping the rabbits in check as the woodcocks are not a pest causing damage to the golf course which is why your there, keep the course owner happy therefore keep your perm

Edited by shergar
  • Like 1

Leave the woodcock for the shotgun unless your desperate for one for the pot. They are one of the most challenging birds to take on the wing so, in my opinion at least, it would be a shame to shoot one stationary with a rifle. Having said that it would be a good test of your field craft to get to within range :)

Leave the woodcock for the shotgun unless your desperate for one for the pot. They are one of the most challenging birds to take on the wing so, in my opinion at least, it would be a shame to shoot one stationary with a rifle. Having said that it would be a good test of your field craft to get to within range :)

Not really! When they were studying them we used to walk upto them with a landing net and a lamp and then they would leg tag them. Easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

• Like 2

Not really! When they were studying them we used to walk upto them with a landing net and a lamp and then they would leg tag them. Easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

That's probably true but I believe shooting birds by lamp is somewhat frowned upon :D

Got a left and a right with the airgun recently, who needs a shotgun!? :D:laugh::thumbs:

It was meant to be tongue in cheek......

Mate its illegal to use a lamp/torch to shoot any bird in the uk................im guessing yours was in the daytime Deker :victory:

Bell

...and that isn't quite correct, unless I have missed a recent change in the law! :thumbs:

Got a left and a right with the airgun recently, who needs a shotgun!? :D:laugh::thumbs:

Mate its illegal to use a lamp/torch to shoot any bird in the uk................im guessing yours was in the daytime Deker :victory:

Bell

...and that isn't quite correct, unless I have missed a recent change in the law!

Certainly is for all wild birds old bean, which last time i looked at the quarry list Woodcock were :thumbs:

Bell

...and that isn't quite correct, unless I have missed a recent change in the law!

Certainly is for all wild birds old bean, which last time i looked at the quarry list Woodcock were :thumbs:

Last time I looked a Feral Pigeon was a wild bird!

• Like 1