Airgun Scopes

It's an air rifle scope, how far do you need to see, and fitted on a PCP how robust does it need to be? Of course you need it to work, be reliable and be clear at the distances you shoot but..............

I simply don't get these sort of threads, we are not talking about a .308 shooting at 1000yards.

Get over it, there are plenty of budget scopes, and plenty in the Hawke range that will be more than capable.

If you want to put £2k and 2lb of Nightforce on there feel free, but you will lighten your pocket considerably and increase the weight on your arms, and get no better results in the vast majority of cases compared to spending sub £100 on the scope!

ATB!

:thumbs:

• Like 3

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's an air rifle scope, how far do you need to see, and fitted on a PCP how robust does it need to be? Of course you need it to work, be reliable and be clear at the distances you shoot but.........

I've had a few Hawke scopes before, Nite Eyes, Map Pro and others and I always thought that they were pretty OK for the money until they started to develop problems and they all did. The after sales s

Here here. Get a Hawke. There fine

Posted Images

I had a WTC 3.5 - 10 X 50 on my S410 TDR when I bought it, with a 30 - 30 reticle. At the time I was convinced (wrongly) that mil dot was the only way forward so let it go for practically nothing with the gun. Never replaced the low light quality of the glass.... idiot!

Nothing wrong with Hawke scopes, or BSA Basics on air rifles. Optics are really good on modern "budget".

Lots of snobbery and tosh spoken about optics.

Learn to shoot with irons first. I have 3 different Hawkes of various ages, all perform really well.

Good God you are shooting rabbits and pigeons out to 55 yards not Bisley CSR.

• Like 1

I've never read so much cack in my life as in this thread, a more expensive scope will not enable you to shoot better than you would with a cheaper scope, air rifles have a limited range so even at its maximum range your target should still be clearly visible, I have shot all kinds of guns both professionally and as an avid amateur but a good knowledge of trajectory, wind and distance is what makes you hit or miss in the field, I use a hawke pro stalk 4-14X50 on my HW100S and can't remember missing a shot in months, I am a full time pest controller and shoot a lot of vermin in an average day, most will be 30yds but up to 70yds is not unusual, I leave it on 4 and never magnify the image, the gun is set up on an indoor range, it is then shot over all the distances to see the trajectory or drop over these distances enabling me to gauge windage and pellet drop in the field when its needed, the only thing I move is the parallax to keep the target clear and in focus, WM

• Like 2

Get to a gun shop or 5 and have a look through as many scopes as you can. I am toying with the idea of treating myself to a 'keeper' scope on my new airgun. I have had loads of cheap scopes in the past. If you want to spend a few more quid on something that works well for you then do it. For less than £300 you should be able to pick up a second hand Leupold or Bushnell Elite etc. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I've never read so much cack in my life as in this thread, a more expensive scope will not enable you to shoot better than you would with a cheaper scope, air rifles have a limited range so even at its maximum range your target should still be clearly visible, I have shot all kinds of guns both professionally and as an avid amateur but a good knowledge of trajectory, wind and distance is what makes you hit or miss in the field, I use a hawke pro stalk 4-14X50 on my HW100S and can't remember missing a shot in months, I am a full time pest controller and shoot a lot of vermin in an average day, most will be 30yds but up to 70yds is not unusual, I leave it on 4 and never magnify the image, the gun is set up on an indoor range, it is then shot over all the distances to see the trajectory or drop over these distances enabling me to gauge windage and pellet drop in the field when its needed, the only thing I move is the parallax to keep the target clear and in focus, WM

As I re-read the thread I see most posts, in fact nearly all iterating exactly what you have said?

Cack or tosh. I still think hawke are shite.

Twice bitten. Thrice as shy.

Mind you. Perhaps being a snob and only shooting 3 times a year I'm being a little judgemental. If I only got out more?!!

I more or less undertake pest control five days a week. From fox to rats everything for the past seven years has been shot with a Hawke or a BSA sight. Thats with all kinds of rifles out to a hundred yards.

The Hawke after sales and guarantee is better than any you will get. So, three times a year, or daily. Form an opinion on usage and experience of something, don't just throw daft opinions around.

• Like 1

Mind you. Perhaps being a snob and only shooting 3 times a year I'm being a little judgemental. If I only got out more?!!

I more or less undertake pest control five days a week. From fox to rats everything for the past seven years has been shot with a Hawke or a BSA sight. Thats with all kinds of rifles out to a hundred yards.

The Hawke after sales and guarantee is better than any you will get. So, three times a year, or daily. Form an opinion on usage and experience of something, don't just throw daft opinions around.

:laugh: and what do you think I do for a job?

The OP was asking opinions on scopes. Simple. An opinion I gave. My opinion. As others have given theirs.

That's what the forum is for.

I didn't turn the thread into a dick measuring contest over experience and who's dads bigger.

I don't like hawke scopes. Regardless of cost. My opinion.

Yes I could have had a couple of bad examples and I'm not disputing there maybe some good models throughout the range. But not for me. Again my opinion.

No one ever suggested throwing a 2k scope on an airgun. There are plenty of brands of scopes out there. To suit all budgets.

Go with whatever floats your boat.

Now I have another dilemma here.........cadburys or nestle....??

I like nestle but it does leave a bitter after taste........

Atvb.

post-95496-0-57561700-1415792144_thumb.jpg

Thought this might interest some folk for pest work. Had it a month from See All in Idaho. No batteries, the green fibre block draws light allowing a triangle point to act as aim point. The rear clear lens magnifies it a bit. Its parallax free as well.

Tried it on a rimfire, but ended up on this Ultra for barn work and its proved very accurate. It will knock FT middles out for me at up to forty yards consistently. Managed my "egg off a fence post" test at sixty so very pleased.

Good alternative to irons as there is no foresight to worry about. The Americans are using it on shotgun and pistol as well as rifle.

Sorry can't do links but Google See All and it will come up.

The OP was asking opinions on scopes. Simple. An opinion I gave. My opinion. As others have given theirs.

I didn't turn the thread into a dick measuring contest over experience and who's dads bigger.

Yes I could have had a couple of bad examples and I'm not disputing there maybe some good models throughout the range. But not for me. Again my opinion.

No one ever suggested throwing a 2k scope on an airgun. There are plenty of brands of scopes out there. To suit all budgets.

Atvb.

Dont get drawn into daft arguments laddy.

Atvb.

Dont get drawn into daft arguments laddy.
:laugh: all part of the fun :thumbs: