Synulox? Its a broad spectrum antibiotic

cheers mate anybody used it? is it as good as my mates swear by it? ive been told you can give it to a pregnant bitch 5 days before she is due ,to increase the pups chance of surviving,to boost theyre imune system any info would be a help

Guest bitsa lurcher

cheers mate anybody used it? is it as good as my mates swear by it? ive been told you can give it to a pregnant bitch 5 days before she is due ,to increase the pups chance of surviving,to boost theyre imune system any info would be a help

keep your bitch healthy in the first place and there should be no need for drugs when pregnant :thumbs:

steer well clear on your pregnat bitch if you alnt sure . :no:

keep your bitch healthy in the first place and there should be no need for drugs when pregnant :thumbs:

my mates bitch mate ,she is healthier than me ,i just wanted to find out the crack on the drug,ive heard it works well on injured terriers,but cant get hold of it anywhere without prescription

Guest Night Owl

Synulox is quite a strong antibiotic - I would agree with Flint that you should stay well clear if your bitch is pregnant and you are unsure of administrating any form of drug to your dog, I would also agree with Bitsa Lurcher that to boost the dogs immune system you should of thought about keeping your bitch healthy and fit before putting a dog over her. A good healthy diet and plenty of exersice would be my remedy for healthy pups and bitch. Stay clear of drugs you are unsure of as this can cause loads of unseen problems.

my mates bitch mate ,she is healthier than me ,i just wanted to find out the crack on the drug,ive heard it works well on injured terriers,but cant get hold of it anywhere without prescription

i use synulox on my terries if they have had a lot of graft but only if they have deep punctures that are not healing very well .warm salt water solution usually enough .definately would nt just give it to a pregnant bitch to make pups healthy that would be like telling your pregnany bird to go on anti biotics to make sure the bairn was ok :wallbash:

Some breeders give a bitch a course of antibiotics for the week during which mating takes place: just in case the dog introduces some nasty bacteria into the bitch. It is not uncommon for a bitch to spontaneously abort if the foetuses are abnormal or there is a bacterial infection. Usually the owner isn't even aware that this has happened: just a bit of dark discharge 2-3 weeks after mating. So, yes, if I was using a dog that I didn't know (unlikely to happen!) or a dog that was being regularly used over bitches I would probably give her a course of antibiotics to be on the safe side.

As for giving a bitch antibiotics once she is in whelp: then NO. Unless it was under veterinary supervision for another problem. It is OK to give bitches certain antibiotics but I'd never self administer.

Some breeders give a bitch a course of antibiotics for the week during which mating takes place: just in case the dog introduces some nasty bacteria into the bitch. It is not uncommon for a bitch to spontaneously abort if the foetuses are abnormal or there is a bacterial infection. Usually the owner isn't even aware that this has happened: just a bit of dark discharge 2-3 weeks after mating. So, yes, if I was using a dog that I didn't know (unlikely to happen!) or a dog that was being regularly used over bitches I would probably give her a course of antibiotics to be on the safe side.

As for giving a bitch antibiotics once she is in whelp: then NO. Unless it was under veterinary supervision for another problem. It is OK to give bitches certain antibiotics but I'd never self administer.

Sound advice.

Ive used synulox on one of my ridgebacks that had 11 puppies and developed mastitis about a week after whelping. One of the side effects of antibiotics on a lactating bitch is that it concentrates the milk. I have been breeding rhodesians for about 25 yrs and keep weight and growth charts. this is the only litter ever where the mother had antibiotics. The puppies were huge, the growth rate was probably up 30-40 %. because the milk was so strong the pups did exceptionally well. I'm not sure this is a good thing pups should grow on steady, especially big boned breeds. It wasnt the antibiotics that made the puppies thrive, it was the side effect from the mother. Growth evened out after about 12-16 weeks. So long term antibiotics gave the pups a head start, but only that, they didnt make them bigger or better dogs as adults.

As with most animals good food ,healthy enviroment, space and exercise are the best medication. Give as little medication as possible.

The only medication I ever give pre whelp is worming solution. The instructions are on the bottles, administer every day from about day 40 I think. this makes a dramatic difference to the pups, as they are not born with a worm burden.

master hunters wife.

• 1 year later...

Synulox is absolutely a able antibacterial - I would accede with Flint that you should break able-bodied bright if your allegation is abundant and you are borderline of administrating any anatomy of biologic to your dog, I would aswell accede with Bitsa Lurcher that to addition the dogs allowed arrangement you should of anticipation about befitting your allegation advantageous and fit afore putting a dog over her. A acceptable advantageous diet and affluence of exersice would be my antidote for advantageous pups and bitch. Break bright of drugs you are borderline of as this can could cause endless of concealed problems.

Weight loss pills

It's also a condition of some stud dog owners that the bitch has a course of antibiotics before mating takes place in case the bitch passes on any infection to the stud dog..

I don't like using antibiotics and only use them as the last resort, as already mentioned if you wash out wound on a regular basis using a teaspoon of salt to a pint of water it generally does the trick. :thumbs:

Edited by mally