A good night

went out last night for a walk with a friend last night and had a good start we took my bullx jack, big white diego, and my friends big white Ami,

after getting to the furthest point of the walk with a few misses and a great catch :whistling: , i lamped two sets of eyes about 400yards away at the start of a new field, so we walked down as close as we could and sliped jack he saw and shot off like a rocket , this is where the bad bit happened there is a ditch deviding the two fields and all i heard was a smack, yelp and saw him get up and start running again , came back and all was good no injuries, tough little rascal! next feild ran a big rabbit :whistling: and caught it after 3 turns , so definatley no injuries, we are now walking back home a good 35/40min walk, got half way and noticed jack acting strange walking slower than usual and breathing funny so checked him over no broken ribs so fussed him and carryed on next feild was really suffering and Ami caught a mixy which squeeked so jack ran over then collapsed, Big problem couldnt move small sharp breaths looked like it was all over! :icon_eek: i was gutted we were still about 15mins from the van but i threw him on me shoulders and started running after a bit my mate took over and then again me before we got back, threw the dogs in the back jack on me lap flew like the wind to me vet which is open 24hrs, hopeing he wouldnt stop breathing on the way we got him there alive and they rushed him in for xrays, PUNCHURED LUNG! the impact poped a small hole in the lung , he needs no excersize for a week and to be monitured all that time incase it gets worse, but lungs heal quick themselve apparantly and there will be no lasting damage, any one else had this or heard of this?

Edited by workindogz

no mate the x-rays showed no brocken ribs i think it must of been like a crisp packet affect was full of air then had the impact and pushed it out to quick and poped, hes doing well now showining very little sighns of an injury so must of been very small.

hope your mates dogs is ok it was a bit of a shock specially half an hour l and a big ears later your mates dogs sounds worse than jack so fingures crossed.

no mate the x-rays showed no brocken ribs i think it must of been like a crisp packet affect was full of air then had the impact and pushed it out to quick and poped, hes doing well now showining very little sighns of an injury so must of been very small.

hope your mates dogs is ok it was a bit of a shock specially half an hour l and a big ears later your mates dogs sounds worse than jack so fingures crossed.

sounds nasty, hope all recover, how much was the vets bills?

£185, for the late night appointment was £100 then 85 went on the x-rays and the other bits n bobs i thought that wernt to bad remembering it was 2 in the morn, but would of paid a grand if it needed to done(as long as he would of made a full recovery)

just lucky my vet is 24hr and only 60 seconds from my house!

Just found this thread: it happened to my Deerhound/Grey many years ago: her first trip out on the lamp: fell into a huge dyke: same scenario: OK for a bit then slowed right down, breathing very shallowly: rushed her to the vet: it was 2 in the morning. They stuck a needle into her to let the air escape that was building up in her chest cavity: they said if she hadn't had such a deep chest it would have been curtains for her well before: took over 3 pints of air out of her chest cavity. I next ran her in 8 weeks and she was fine ever after. Dead worrying at the time though. Yours is only the second example in 20 odd years I've heard of with that exact same injury: and falling into a ditch as well.

Glad your dog is OK: yes, lungs do heal well.

Guest alastair
£185, for the late night appointment was £100 then 85 went on the x-rays and the other bits n bobs i thought that wernt to bad remembering it was 2 in the morn, but would of paid a grand if it needed to done(as long as he would of made a full recovery)

just lucky my vet is 24hr and only 60 seconds from my house!

thats not bad mate,too many people moan about vets costs,my vet is 24hr also and its handy when you have a bad injury and need help in the middle of the night. hope the dogs fine

Guest nitedog
went out last night for a walk with a friend last night and had a good start we took my bullx jack, big white diego, and my friends big white Ami,

after getting to the furthest point of the walk with a few misses and a great catch :whistling: , i lamped two sets of eyes about 400yards away at the start of a new field, so we walked down as close as we could and sliped jack he saw and shot off like a rocket , this is where the bad bit happened there is a ditch deviding the two fields and all i heard was a smack, yelp and saw him get up and start running again , came back and all was good no injuries, tough little rascal! next feild ran a big rabbit :whistling: and caught it after 3 turns , so definatley no injuries, we are now walking back home a good 35/40min walk, got half way and noticed jack acting strange walking slower than usual and breathing funny so checked him over no broken ribs so fussed him and carryed on next feild was really suffering and Ami caught a mixy which squeeked so jack ran over then collapsed, Big problem couldnt move small sharp breaths looked like it was all over! :icon_eek: i was gutted we were still about 15mins from the van but i threw him on me shoulders and started running after a bit my mate took over and then again me before we got back, threw the dogs in the back jack on me lap flew like the wind to me vet which is open 24hrs, hopeing he wouldnt stop breathing on the way we got him there alive and they rushed him in for xrays, PUNCHURED LUNG! the impact poped a small hole in the lung , he needs no excersize for a week and to be monitured all that time incase it gets worse, but lungs heal quick themselve apparantly and there will be no lasting damage, any one else had this or heard of this?

glad to here the dogs ok :thumbs: same thing happend to me end ov last season ditch harf way over the field but she died on the way to the vets i was going to line her she was a good allrounder i didnt get to find out what she died ov but sounds very much the same :thumbs:

A mates dog was not as lucky as yours, he run a fox pre-ban and seemed to just clip the corner of a wall he caught and dispatched his fox and on the way back to the motor fell over and was dead within minutes. He showed no abnormal signs untill he collapsed. Its allways the good ones, cause they are the ones trying.

sounds like i was very lucky! if he went i would of been gutted i will be using him to run my pups on with, thank god he looks ok!

thanks everyone for the post ,hopefully now a few more people will know the signs if it happens to them even after 1/2hr and a few runs after the impact get to the vet asap.

sounds like i was very lucky! if he went i would of been gutted i will be using him to run my pups on with, thank god he looks ok!

thanks everyone for the post ,hopefully now a few more people will know the signs if it happens to them even after 1/2hr and a few runs after the impact get to the vet asap.

happened to me about 6 weeks ago my collie greyhound fell in a ditch dislocated her hip ,started breathing funny ,on the way to the vets aparrently stress in a dog can tear the lungs anyway vet told me that they heal themselves .he put her hip back in and now she is on the road to recovery had a check up a few days ago and now she can be let off the lead for a run vet said she is nice and strong again so should fingers crossed make a full recovery

something similar happened to my dog he was chasing through the woods then [bANNED TEXT] he started comeing back he was walking really slow and kept stopping ,so i checked him over and found a hole at the top of his shoulder so got him to the vets and they kept him in they rang me the next day and said he had punctured his lungprobably of a tree branch, any way he made a full recovery so hope ur dog gets well soon