Best Pic Of One Of Your Lurcher

two good ones i got today

How's that red dog with white chest bred mate? Very nice him/her.

thanks gaz hes a bull/grahound X kelpie/whippet
Sound mate. I like him a lot.
I like the mix in him too and I one day would like to own something similar. Did you own or have much knowledge of the kelpie whippet?

i dont silversnake im going to try and get in contact with the lad i brought him off as i would also like to know the percentages
Please let us know if you find anything out. I know you can only legally hunt rats and rabbits but do you think he would be suitable for hares and foxes? as that is what I would want to use that type for

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

took today standing brothers pup with the fox

Me brother in law created this one   He likes his photography as much as I like me hunting

Posted Images

two good ones i got today

How's that red dog with white chest bred mate? Very nice him/her.

thanks gaz hes a bull/grahound X kelpie/whippet
Sound mate. I like him a lot.
I like the mix in him too and I one day would like to own something similar. Did you own or have much knowledge of the kelpie whippet?

i dont silversnake im going to try and get in contact with the lad i brought him off as i would also like to know the percentages
edited because double post Edited by Silversnake

Wolfhound, Deerhound, Dane, Boxer, aka "pig dog"

This is my Lapua gyp, 11 months old. She has been an exceptional pup and a natural talent. Great hunt drive and very hard dog when it comes to catching and holding pigs. She is very fluent mover and covers a lot of ground with her big strides.

Just curious but why is the boxer blood added?

Many moons ago I spent a few months doing a lot of pighunting in New Zealand and some of the guys I went out with had a right old mishmash of different dogs. They'd give anything a chance and if it contributed anything useful it would be added to the team. They couldn't give a stuff how it was bred if it did the job. About that time I used to read a lot of books on NZ pighunting and I remember one (by Philip Holden I think) in which much the same philosophy was advocated. It talked about some bloke who used to go to the local dog pound and take home anything that took his fancy that he'd then try on pigs. If it showed any aptitude he'd keep it, if not he'd take it back. One of the dogs he picked up this way which was mustard on pigs was a pure boxer.

I would imagine that, just as over here when breeding lurchers and terriers, pighunters will breed proven worker to proven worker. So maybe if somebody at one time had a pure boxer that worked pigs he'd cross it with another proven worker. Not with any specific theory that adding boxer blood - in general - to the mix would add particular qualities. But simply because dog A (which just happened to be a boxer) was a good pigdog, which made it worth breeding from.

Just a thought....

Anyone who wonders why and thinks it odd that boxer blood would be in a finder holder pig dog, need only to look at the history and origins of the breed. It is no accident that you find boxer and dane in a lot of the finder holder pig dogs. Also the Boxer and Dane have the most Bullenbiesser genes of all the other breeds. The boxer and dane in the beginning were a little different than they are now. That goes for just about any breed. Soon as they become a regonizable breed by the kennel clubs, the breed takes on changes and breed standards are changed. The dane and boxer are not thought of as great hunting dogs now but we're extremely effective at their job in hunting and catching boar back in the day. You can still take your neighbors pet boxer or dane and show it a pig and it will run in and catch. If not it will in very short order. They also hunt very well and are good find dog once they understand what it is you are wanting of them and it's ok to hunt. They are still very natural hunters. Any man that questions this need only to take a few out to the woods and watch and observe them. This is pets I'm talking about. Give those dogs to a pig man and within a couple hunting trips, majority of those few pet danes and boxers will be better than the average catch dog and be hunting up their own pigs if allowed. These dogs natural ability still are very much alive in most of all the pet danes and boxers.
I was reading that the original bulldog used in the creation of the boxer came from England , hence why you get white ones from time to time , we had a boxer entire male and he was a bugger around bull breeds rotties etc would pin them down embarrassing , it was lol ,