If You Do Roadwork On A Bike....

This might be obvious but there's no harm in saying it anyhow.

If you do roadwork on a bike, now the clocks have changed you'll quite possibly be doing it in the dark or the half-light. In which case make sure you're all lit up like a Christmas tree. I used to just have a front and back light on the bike but 9 or 10 years ago I got knocked off the bike by a car that was coming out of a side road as I went past - the driver just didn't see me. Luckily he was going slowly so although I had bruises and cuts it was no worse than that (and fortunately the dog wasn't hit).

But it sure as hell shook me up and it made me realise the fact that the driver was in the wrong was as much use as a chocolate fireguard. If you're on a bike and have an argument with a car the car's going to win - every time. So from that moment on I've always gone completely over the top. I have front and rear reflectors, reflectors on the wheel spokes and front and rear lights (all of which I had when I got knocked off, so clearly that's not enough). In addition the bike has a flashing white LED facing front and a flashing red LED facing back, plus flashing LEDs on the forks that are angled at 45 degrees so someone coming at me from the side should see them even if they can't see the ones facing straight ahead or straight behind. On top of that I wear a high vis vest over my coat. And I've just ordered an led head torch as well.

I look a complete numpty I can assure you. But I'd rather be a live numpty than dead cool. I see quite a few people on bikes who've either got no lights at all or insufficient to be clearly seen. The fact that you can see where you're going without lights is irrelevant. Most lurchermen are so used to trying to keep a low profile and not be noticed that this goes right against the grain but trust me - it just ain't worth taking a chance. Be safe...

• Like 10

I don't think there's any law against it, especially if the dog is free running off a lead. How on earth do you legislate and enforce that. lol. Might be different if the dogs are in the road, I use cycle paths which there are lots of here, I can honestly say I wouldn't cycle on public highways, too risky for me.

I wouldn't do it on busy roads but where I live I've got a circuit I do that's a mix of relatively quiet village roads and much quieter country roads. Plus I like to be all done and dusted by 7.30am at the latest, so I get most of it done when there's not much traffic about.

I don't think there's any law against it, especially if the dog is free running off a lead. How on earth do you legislate and enforce that. lol. Might be different if the dogs are in the road, I use cycle paths which there are lots of here, I can honestly say I wouldn't cycle on public highways, too risky for me.

I wouldn't do it on busy roads but where I live I've got a circuit I do that's a mix of relatively quiet village roads and much quieter country roads. Plus I like to be all done and dusted by 7.30am at the latest, so I get most of it done when there's not much traffic about.

Just a tad curious as to what time you get up? And why anyone who's not a competetive courser, and even them, needs to 'bike' their dogs anyway! No animosity, just curious like :thumbs:

Just a tad curious as to what time you get up? And why anyone who's not a competetive courser, and even them, needs to 'bike' their dogs anyway! No animosity, just curious like :thumbs:

early as f**k by the sounds of it lol