• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No nasty chav calibre

I agree with charlie caller,I too owned a 222 and through sheer stupidity sold it, traded it for a 223,after listening to biased one sided arguments on the differences between them, don t get me wrong

Chaps I can bear witness to Charlie's hornet I've seen the grouping and it was frightening.   I used to think he'd only hit the target twice and the other three he shot away on purpose as you could

Posted Images

Much better than the unreliable ( in my experience ) hmr. A true all rounder if longer range vermin and short to medium range fox are expected. Obviously not ideal as a normal range bunny brasher but if you've already got a .22 lr then it would would be a good addition.

I was playing with one a couple days ago shooting rabbits at around 100 yards or so and if I didn't already have the .223 I'd definitely have a hornet.

Hi mate ,Imo to get the best from a hornet you will need to reload, much much cheaper and you can work up the best load for your rifle, had a ruger hornet some years now and love it :thumbs:, good on fox out to 200 yds which is plenty for my permissions .

I actually sold my .223 ( to much gun ) and kept the hornet don't regret it one little bit.

LD

• Like 1

I've not long had my Hornet and it's great fun. I also started reloading which makes the cost reasonable, trouble is the more i load the more i shoot ! :clapper:

It has taken a bit of getting used to - scope setup, different cartridge lengths etc. but it is very accurate at 100 yards so far, now I'm going to try further, I'm aiming to be able to head shoot rabbits at 150.

I swapped my HMR for the Hornet and it has proved to be much better in windy conditions.

Brilliant little fox round, but here is the fly in the ointment, factory ammo is expensive, and with the exception of Hornady 35 grain vmax, is pretty crap, so unless you are happy to pay through the nose for generally poor ammo, reloading is the way forward with a hornet, and for that reason, unless you are happy reloading, I would suggest the superb .222, as there is a plethora of excellent factory ammo for it from all the major manufacturers, and you have the benefit of being able to shoot small deer too, should you wish.

Greenkeeper - I found reloading very interesting if a bit tedious at times but very satisfying. I bought a kit (Lee) from Kranks plus a couple of extra dies and off I went. Lots of good relaoding vids on YouTube and you don't need a lot of complicated info for the lowley Hornet.

I'm pushed for space so set up a temporary bench in my office (den!). I've had a few minor problems but reasonably successful. It's most interesting finding out the different levels of accuarcy with differing loads etc.

post-94065-0-34442600-1415047526_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cedric

Thanks for replys guys Charlie caller I've never home loaded before or never watched mates do it but I must say I'm looking forward to having a go is there any inperticular loading kit to go for? Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

Well if you are set on getting a hornet, and reloading, a Lee kit and a few bits and bobs will give you everything you need, but with hornet reloading the Lee factory crimp die, and case flare die are a must to load relly accurate ammo, I still say get the .222 it is no louder than a hornet, uses only a bit more powder, fires the same .224 diameter bullet, is super accurate, and you can stretch things another 100 yards on a hornets max range if you need, but up to you pal.