Brittany

is a Brittany dog at 9 months old to old to learn from scratch, im intrested to know as I would like to use this dog for falconry purpose,ie pointing, no retrieving would be needed

if so what wold be the best way to go about it, as this would be my first to train

thanks in advance

bullet

Edited by bullet

Three years agi I took one in aged six. Was a rescue with a very good breeding background. Huge gamble,never had any regrets.

First thing, bond with it. obedience. And since they often have an attitude to prefee hunting over retrieving, work on the retrieve.

They are extremely driven and can be a true versatile hunting compagnion. Because of the drive get that recall up to spec, e-collar often is supplied in the puppy kits of a really good ones.

Hunting wise, style and attitude, they are like a gsp just smaller. They don't take years to mature but they are no spaniel or terrier either. At nine months its still very much a pup.

I would be careful with which Brit I got. I think most make good hunting dogs, but there are a few that are a bit hard-headed. Not the type of dog you want while hunting a hawk.

My own Brittany was easy to train and has good drive for hunting, but I am glad I put a lot of obedience into him when he was a pup, ie before 9 months old.

I wouldn't write the dog off at nine months, but would check him out and see how biddable he is before choosing. :thumbs: