Wasp Nest.... Ouch

Set up a 6 hole warren on a grassy hill on the side of a race course. what a great start to the weekend, sun shinning a few holes set and cuppa watching the nags in training.

Pushed 2 good sized bunny's within a few minutes. Good start!

Then proceeded to a wooded area a bit further along and set up with 10 nets. As there was so much debris about, leafs and branches I missed a hole. the hole that two rabbits bolted from, nightmare!

The two rabbits ran up to the next warren so I after leaving the ferrets down for a little longer I moved the nets up to the next set "there not gonna get away that easy".

As I lay the fourth net I felt a sting on my hand then another. Sh*t wasps a bloody great swarm came out of the hole stinging me as I ran out on to the field stinging me as I strip my clothing (Jockeys must of had a good laugh)

After brushing off the last of the wasps I then had the fun job of retrieving the nets I had lay. A suicide mission which resulted in 3 more stings.

Was a Painful morning and the rabbits I missed will live another day.

The ferrets are happy with their two so that's the main thing.

I how ever am sitting here waiting for the missis to come home with the antihistamine cream.

FUN :hmm:

Almost had it happen but always been lucky to spot them first! Did poke a stick in one as a kid ! Worst summer holiday I ever had! Was about 20ft up a tree at the time, got down pretty quick but not quick enough. I was stung to F and didn't want to tell my mum so hid in my room. My whole body was swollen from being stung!!!!

Lesson learnt !

Got stung in the mouth on tounge and under my teeth drinking from a beer can that one had got in. I was rolling it around my mouth trying to spit it out as it was stinging me, had just got to BBQ sat down and had second sip from can. Went home and passed up and down for a couple of hours until pain and drawling had warn off.

Awesome predators in their own right !

Hope the pain is wearing off soon :-)

ATB Lee C

Edited by Lee C

Mate i feel your pain :cray: , i have had a few run ins with wasps in similar circumstances over the years. One particular trip that is forever etched in my mind was on the Cave hill on the outskirts of Belfast just above Belfast Zoo.Me and two mates were ferreting on a steep bank on the edge of a very big drop when one of them went to net a hole and he was attacked by wasps. They were all over him in seconds and he just legged it down the bank screaming and ripping his clothing off, i of course did the only decent thing a mate would, and i scrambled up the bank the opposite way from him and so did my other mate. People driving up into the Zoo car park were having to swerve their cars out of his way as he sprinted past them in fook all but his trunks and socks trying to pull his own hair out! Not really a sight your expecting to see at the Zoo with the kids, and at one point i thought he was heading into the Zoo to throw himself into the Lions or Tigers. Me and my other mate were watching the naked antics of our friend safely from our hill top sanctuary as he yanked open some ones car door and jumped into their car only to find that the guy and his wife jumped out leaving my mate in their car. Other people in the cars behind had stopped and eventually they got him out of the car and were rubbing him down with car blankets and coats and stuff to get the wasps off. We were all around 14-15 years old at the time and even the sight of an Ambulance turning up to take Umpa away (that was his nic-name) couldn't stop us rolling around that hill crying with laughter. We watched Umpa get loaded into the Ambulance,decided it was too risky to retrieve the two or three nets that were laid near the wasps nest and headed up the hill to ferret some easier burrows. Had a decent enough day for 14 year olds with now only a total of 11 nets in our arsenal and 1 ferret and we got three rabbits. There was no mobile phones in them days so we walked the few miles home bypassing Umpa's street in case he was dead and we had to answer awkward questions from his mum.But i needn't have worried his mum had phoned my mum from the hospital to see if me and my mate had got home safe as Umpa was worried about us still up that hill :D:D .He got out later that night and called down the next day to see me.When he called he was a mess and i couldn't move off the settee as i had wrecked my stomach muscles with all the laughing from the previous day.That was around 27 years ago and we are still mates although he knocked the hunting on the head after that but we still have a laugh about that day when we meet up. :whistling::D:D

• Like 2