Who Wears The Poppy

How many of you wear the poppy, i always do but it seems to me that some people seem to find it slightly embarrasing, christ knows why, ive seen a lot of young people wearing it and credit due to them for realising the sacrifice made, so that they can have the freedom of choice to do as they please. Reason i ask is this i was talking to a woman in the pub and her view was that wearing the poppy was a sign of glorification of war. Now i will listen to anyones point of view but i found that pretty disrespectful to the many that made the ultimate sacrifice , whats your view. :hmm:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wear mine with pride. I bought one the other day and my 5 year old asked me what it was for, when i explained he put £1 of his pocket money into the collection tin for one. ... That made me even mo

I wear mine with pride, (lest we forget)

Are they not allowed to honour and remember their dead that were sent into battle without choice under a regime?   Not all of the German population were hell bent on war contrary to popular belief.

would have no shame in wearing a poppy and i put 2 quid in the collection box that was on reception at work but i did refused a poppy. 2 quid is not a lot but if i take a poppy somebody else might not put in the box if the poppy's have run out. i always refuse the poppy,s, pens, stickers etc no matter what the charity is .

I wear a poppy wrist band ... and if im going out somewhere dressed up id put a poppy on..

think some people wear poppys to stop getting asked for a donation ...

• Like 1

Don't know who wouldn't wear one to be honest. Always have since the days where they'd come into our class and everyone would put a quid in. Wonder if the schools do it these days or too scared to offend.

Bought mine a week ago but probably won't wear it except on Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday. No issue with those who choose not to wear one, but think it is a healthy thing if we as a nation to come together, at least on Remembrance Day, and demonstrate our appreciation for those that have died for our liberty.

I worry though, that the true meaning of the poppy will be lost in the future. I despair at the BBCs seemingly mandatory requirement for a poppy to be worn on screen from about the middle of October. As I type I've been watching breakfast news for about half an hour and haven't seen anyone NOT wearing a poppy. Every panel show, soap, sports programme....., guests and presenters lined up all wearing the same poppies. It looks and feels contrived, which to me feels more disrepectful than one or two people electing not to wear a poppy at the end of October.

I remember a few years ago a German player (might have been Klinnsman), who was appearing as a pundit on MOTD, wearing one! I'm not saying anyone is being forced by the BBC to wear one, but they are obviously being 'given the option' before they are put in front of the camera. Why would/should a German feel obligated to wear a poppy?

You can't bully, or even seek to guilt trip people into commemorating the fallen. The poppy as a symbol would lose its integrity, and that would be tragic. As I say, I'll wear mine..., and with pride, and remember them this year, like every other. And when they're old enough to truly understand, I'll educate my children on what the wearing of the poppy symbolises, and hope that they choose to wear it with pride too.

• Like 1