Where To Buy Fully Trained Springer Spaniels

Not sure there is such a thing as a good gun dog for sale, so it will be one that has issues. I'm sure there are people who part train and sell at huge cost, but you would be as well getting one and doing it yourself.

Half of the fun of owning a dog is the bonding and trust and you can't replace that. I've had mine from 12 weeks and teaching him has been the bonding, it's like building your dog, it's made your way to your spec. A second hand dog will be nice but never the same bonding, and you will miss so much fun.

• Like 2

£2200 isn't a lot for a fully trained dog, bearing in mind the time and effort that goes in to it. But if you haven't the knowledge of training, how do you know what you are buying? Do you have someone to look at the dog for you and are you looking at getting yourself up to speed?

No offence but before you go out and buy what might be a decent well trained dog, you want to spend a bit of time figuring out how to use such a thing otherwise no matter what you pay and how good it is you will simply wreck it!

£2200 isn't a lot for a fully trained dog. You either need to buy a pup (£500) or not sell a pup (£500 again) so your margin is £1,700. Feed the dog and jab it etc for 18 months minimum (~£300) so now you have £1,400. Look at your pay cheque and tell me how many hours that would buy you to spend on training a dog over say 18 months, call it 7 hours a month if you get paid £10/hour and tell me that someone is making money out of that.

Not having a go at anyone, just pointing out that if you were to buy a pup, feed, vet and time training (say for 18 months) you are talking well over £6,000 an that is just spending 1 hour a day with it.

Best idea imo is to go to a trainer and have a couple of lessons without a dog so you understand what is going on. Then either buy a pup and go back for lessons as you go along or buy a part trained dog and go for lessons, then you know what you are getting and you have guidance.

Final idea would be buy a really good fully trained dog ....... then go for some lessons with the person that trained it.

You will see a tred there. As you don't know anything about training or working dogs you will probably need to go for lessons to figure out what you are doing.

Thanks

Dan

• Like 3

Leegreen saw one for £2200 fully trained think that's a bit much don't you think?? Hi Phill that is true it's just the hassle with toilet training and raising a pup and I don't really have the knowledge of training.

That isn't a bad thing, but if you were to find someone on here local spend some time learning the basics, see what it's all about then if you go to gun dog classes you and the dog learn together.

• 2 weeks later...

seems to be a few in Ireland aroung £300-£600

Yep, no doubt, but they'll just be like the cheap Irish horses, lol

You'll get what you pay for, 2k will see you get a fully trained dog, but my experience says that most are ruined with in the first year by folk with all the gear & no idea..

• Like 1

No offence but before you go out and buy what might be a decent well trained dog, you want to spend a bit of time figuring out how to use such a thing otherwise no matter what you pay and how good it is you will simply wreck it!

£2200 isn't a lot for a fully trained dog. You either need to buy a pup (£500) or not sell a pup (£500 again) so your margin is £1,700. Feed the dog and jab it etc for 18 months minimum (~£300) so now you have £1,400. Look at your pay cheque and tell me how many hours that would buy you to spend on training a dog over say 18 months, call it 7 hours a month if you get paid £10/hour and tell me that someone is making money out of that.

Not having a go at anyone, just pointing out that if you were to buy a pup, feed, vet and time training (say for 18 months) you are talking well over £6,000 an that is just spending 1 hour a day with it.

Best idea imo is to go to a trainer and have a couple of lessons without a dog so you understand what is going on. Then either buy a pup and go back for lessons as you go along or buy a part trained dog and go for lessons, then you know what you are getting and you have guidance.

Final idea would be buy a really good fully trained dog ....... then go for some lessons with the person that trained it.

You will see a tred there. As you don't know anything about training or working dogs you will probably need to go for lessons to figure out what you are doing.

Thanks

Dan

Well said Dan - absolutely right.