Fox Control With A .22

Yes I shot one last week with the shotgun, out looking for squirrels to shoot with steel shot for hawk food, he got 3 loads of 36 gram 3" magnum no3 steel, and I can tell you it did the job rather well, in answer to the phrase as you put it, at 60 yards there are better tools to kill a fox than a .22, should perhaps be re-phrased slightly, at 60 yards, nothing will kill a fox with such a degree of certainty than a centerfire, not a shotgun, not a .22rf but a centerfire, totally agree on the right tool for the job :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet more foxes have also ran off with .22 in them more than any other round also

more foxes shot with a .22 than any other round I would imagine

That's exactly the reason mate. But technically, under that condition, you would be breaking the conditions of your FAC if you decided to take your 'deer rifle' out specifically to shoot a fox during

Posted Images

Its all I have in steel mate, I use them for wildfowling, buy them in bulk so they are cheap enough to shoot anything with, plus the farm I was on has a few duck about so its always handy to be able to take a quick shot at a duck without changing cartridges, when shooting stuff for hawk food, it is vital to use none toxic shot as one lead pellet and you have a dead hawk, they do seem to kill squirrels quite effectively lol :yes:

Its all I have in steel mate, I use them for wildfowling, buy them in bulk so they are cheap enough to shoot anything with, plus the farm I was on has a few duck about so its always handy to be able to take a quick shot at a duck without changing cartridges, when shooting stuff for hawk food, it is vital to use none toxic shot as one lead pellet and you have a dead hawk, they do seem to kill squirrels quite effectively lol :yes:

Should have used a centrefire :whistling:

Ye just dont seem to be able to get the steel bullets any more :tongue2: got some silver ones, but I am saving them for a full moon.

Ye just dont seem to be able to get the steel bullets any more :tongue2: got some silver ones, but I am saving them for a full moon.

I prefer stakes myself.

Or is that steaks?

Either way, deadly at close range against both foxes and wolves. ;)

• Like 1

I prefer stakes myself.

Or is that steaks?

Either way, deadly at close range against both foxes and wolves. ;)

And Vampires ;)

So this is what annoys me. I can shoot a fox with pigeon shot at 30 yards but can't shoot a fox at 100 yards with my 22wmr? I know they have to draw the line somewhere but 17hmr and 22wmr are surely powerful enough to kill a fox at 100 yards.

At 150 yards my 22wmr retains more energy than my 22r subsonic at the muzzle.