Fox Control With A .22

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet more foxes have also ran off with .22 in them more than any other round also

more foxes shot with a .22 than any other round I would imagine

That's exactly the reason mate. But technically, under that condition, you would be breaking the conditions of your FAC if you decided to take your 'deer rifle' out specifically to shoot a fox during

Posted Images

If it's all you've got, then out to 50>70 yards a decent heart/lung or head shot will do the job.

But NO it's no good for 'real' foxing, (even a 17hmr is marginal).

A centrefire .22 of any variety is really what's needed, mines a 22.250.

But it's up to you, keep the farmer happy then get a grant for a CF!

But be ready for the ammo cost.

AndyF

sadly i wager too many shooter would not pass up a fox at 120 yards but would in the moment have a go.i allways say the lamp man carries the brain and switches off if not 100% happy .

small print.it goes without saying the safty of shot lies with the trigger man.

• Like 2

If it's all you've got, then out to 50>70 yards a decent heart/lung or head shot will do the job.

But NO it's no good for 'real' foxing, (even a 17hmr is marginal).

A centrefire .22 of any variety is really what's needed, mines a 22.250.

But it's up to you, keep the farmer happy then get a grant for a CF!

But be ready for the ammo cost.

AndyF

Mines also a .22-250 having got rid of my hmr its a well made decision. Kept my little .22 rimfire for rabbits and I would definitely take a fox with it within 60 yards head shot only I use winchester subs and as said wouldn't hesitate to take charlie given the right circumstances.

Like any gun, it needs to be used in the right circumstances,

I remember someone telling me once that you can shoot Deer with an Elephant gun but unless you hit them in the right place, they're going to carry on.

Always think of that when I'm deciding whether to take a shot or not.

Some forces (like mine for instance) will not allow .22 or any other rimfire on fox, some will, if you can head shoot them at 50-70 yards then a .22 will kill them cleanly, but as a gun to take out foxing specifically then it is not the right choice, if you want to shoot foxes regular then get a .22 hornet upwards, all the .22 cf are perfect for foxes.

• Like 1

Why do people have a problem with close range fox hunting with a .22 ? i would of thought it's fine aslong as its a clean kill.

is there a law that says it cannot be done ?

Daz

Depends what your licence says.

As a specific calibre, licence conditions allowing (ie .22RF conditioned for fox), no it's not illegal. (If you're not conditioned with RF for fox, it is illegal but due to the condition, not the calibre per se).

Assuming your conditioned, it will and does kill fox in the right circumstances but it needs a well placed shot, taken from limited range and is on the limits of being humane especially at the upper limits of that range.

Unless you're shooting in gardens (open cert pest controller), around farm buildings or close to houses at night and from less than 60 yards, (unless you're also an absolute expert shot), there are better choices for fox control.

you wouldn't take a penknife to a gun fight the .22 will kill a fox at close range but there are better choices bud so you don't risk the fox running off with one lodged in it

Ok, help me out, I don't get it, what would be a better choice at close range then, why do you need a larger calibre if a .22 will kill a fox at close range?

Select the right tool for the job, and on many jobs a .22lr and subs is the Right tool for the job.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker