Do It All Rifle

I've had a quick look through the forum search and couldn't find anything, so apologies if this has been covered before.

I'm in the market for a new rifle, but with funds tight I'm keen to try and cover all my shooting with one gun.

What calibre, PCP or springer and which scope.

Looking forward to people's views on this.

What's your budget fella. If you want a pcp you won't go far wrong with a bsa ultra in .177

Springer go for hw 95 .177

Top it with a hawke 3/9/50 milldot scope something like that.

Shergar

Edited by shergar

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

I've been shooting an Axsor Gemini .177 with a pretty basic 3-9x40 scope. Depending on the trade in I could get for that would really depend on the upward budget but I was looking around the £500 range for the combo, hopefully getting a decent trade in would lessen the blow. I've already got the charging kit so at least that is one less thing to worry about.

I'd had a look at the Ultra SE Tactical and must admit it seems very nice. My concern was having a rifle that would be usuable for ratting in farm sheds but also be good for bunnies out to about 35 yards, would a .177 just travel through rats?

In the past i've owned a few HW springers all in .22 and appreciate that each calibre has it's merits. Ideally I'd have 2 guns but I'm not sure that'd go down well with the management!

More questions than answers there man but it would help us help you :)

Get a 95 in 177 mate, whack a Hawke on top and your set for pretty much everything. I use my 98 for HFT so it'll do as much as I ask of it, apart from hide shooting perhaps due to its size.

If you shoot a springer first your learn the techniques of shooting, making PCP work a doddle.

• Like 1

As has been said so many times. Until you have picked up and shot the equipment, no-one is going to know what is suitable.

Your budget will dictate whether an entry level springer, a full power springer like the AA TX200 or to go for a PCP with bottle.

Are you going new or second hand.

Join a local air rifle club, talk to the guys, try out some of their kit. Nothing worse than buying a .22 £50 springer when you need a .177 PCP at £600 second hand for HFT competitions.