I just been out for a short walk and noticed my dog was limping! Upon returning home and checking his feet I noticed a swelling on one of his middle toes on his left foot! I've tried uploading photos but can't! If anybody is willing to have a quick look via text I'd be grateful of your opinions! Vets tot row by the looks of things!

Is it over a joint or at end around nail?

In truth I would have a really good look at it then take to vets and get a diagnosis then next time you will know yourself. :thumbs: a pic would help but only a proper examination could guarantee it was a knocked up toe or a fracture so I'd ere on the side of caution this time.

A common cause would be a knocked up toe which is often caused by a transitory dislocation that pops straight back in. Ice/cold water, anti inflammatory med such as metacam, rest from running and gentle mobilisation, (for Socks), I've used arnica in the past as a rub in these cases. The metacam will reduce the inflammation fine but may also slow tendon healing so reduce it as soon as vet says it ok to do so.

The early reduction also discourages the dog from over doing it as it they tend to go mad if completely pain free but a little niggle helps to keep them in check.

Thanks for the reply! The swelling is around the joint! As soon as I noticed the swelling I applied an ice pack and this morning seems to have reduced quite a bit! I'm going to give it a day or so to see what happens and restrict him to the garden! I would buy some anti inflammatories online but am worried about the crap I could end up with!

• Like 1

my dog is laid up with 3 broken toes at the min and metacam is good stuff think you can only get it with a prescription!! from the vet, if its a weight bearing toe get it checked out! will cost a bit though!! looking at £400ish if broke!! for xray,meds and strapping up!! then £100ish a week for 4 weeks for the dressing changing!! then xrays again!!! hope it just a knocked up toe mate.