Falconry Shropshire

harrishawk999

thanks buddy the bird is know 24 weeks old flying 100 ft not free flying, i walk her and take her out every day and sit in the house with her every other night, when i take her out the back to fly she keeps trying to fly off the fist when i am not ready as soon as i open the gate also when i throw her back to the perch she trys to fly off not all the just odd 2 or 3 times, so time she fly past me in the tree but then she will come down. i am stil trying to find her best weight so far i think its around 2.050lb as i am useing digital scales

Hello there. I am in Telford. As said above its best not to let her go when she bates at a perch in the early days or she may get into the idea of bating at all the perches she fancies. This will lead to her been very unsettled on the fist. Some birds can be unsteady when going near gates as they have been unbalanced in the past when you struggle to open the gate. On the bob Dalton video about Harris' he has one that bates when he walks round corners. Try and see things from her point of view and work out what is causing her to bate and eliminate it. Try giving her a tireing when you approach the gate or take her back to the perch for a few times to see if you can break the habit.

regards,

ian

• Like 1

yes she been coming instant but she still baits and she use to fly past me, i took her to a new farm i got this weekend and she came instant there too, the rabbit skin i made a dummy with she has been grabbing it then eating off it but the real rabbit she would not feed off, also her weight to day is 2.159 and would not go for the rabbit, so took her for a walk around the pool today and she was squialking at the dog people had with them,

As Crow says, get her hunting asap, you dont want a screamer on your hands mate, if you have got a supply of dead bunnies, try feeding her on the real thing and nothing else for a day or three, obviously paying careful attention to her weight, if she is hungry she will feed on the carcass, then get her on the real thing :yes:

Sound over weight to me and or you need to do more manning it's very hard to give advice on a forum especially where weight and getting a bird free are concerned.you need to find someone to give you some direction as this bird could get messed up quick. Again this is why people taking up falconry need a experienced person on hand!

Edited by CrowHawker
  • Like 1