Want A New Semi -Automatic

I have got a super black eagle 2 and i have been thinking about swapping it in for the beretta a400 xtreme so if i was you on your budget given i vote beretta a400.

I think the sbe2 is slightly over rated in all the hype it gets comfortech stock etc none of it seems to make a high difference as advertised.

What your question really boils down to is would you prefer gas or inertia, if gas go beretta if inertia benelli/browning A5

I am going in this week and if the trade in price is good i will have the beretta A400 xtreme by the end of the week

Edited by Ruster

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

get a benelli for that pal

Buy a Benelli for shooting and with the change you have left buy a Hatstand and use it for knocking fence posts in or as an oar if you go out on a boat.

Well I have been shooting for over 30 years, and I can honestly say I have never sat in a hide waiting for pheasants, pigeons yes, foxes now and again, crows yes, duck/geese yes, but never pheasants,

Most people from what i can tell prefer a o/u for pheasant maybe your stood waiting for guaranteed birds and not stuck in a hedge/hide where the gun can get dinked, personally if it ain't on a clay ground i take the semi auto or a pump action

Well I have been shooting for over 30 years, and I can honestly say I have never sat in a hide waiting for pheasants, pigeons yes, foxes now and again, crows yes, duck/geese yes, but never pheasants, perhaps this is a branch of shooting that has been hidden to me? :hmm: The op has not mentioned if he will be walking them up, or standing on a peg, I will accept that on a "formal" driven shoot a semi auto is perhaps not the ideal gun(in this country) and a sbs(my preference) or an o/u would be more acceptable, certainly to peppery old gentlemen of the old school, however standing on a peg waiting for driven birds, even the rather well worn argument about autos being less safe than other guns. does not hold water, I could even see an argument for using an auto on any shoot on health grounds perhaps for a lady or gent not in the first flush of youth, possibly a little frail, where the low recoil of a gas operated semi auto would allow them to continue to enjoy the sport for longer, at the end of the day use what you want, but be safe, that is all that matters in my opinion :yes:

• Like 3

On my shoot we have an 89 year old gent that uses a Beretta AL391, he couldn't handle the thump of a SS or OU anymore,

I'm more than happy he's still shooting (better than some 70 years his junior), doesn't matter to me what with,

I guess we're a close bunch of syndicate guns so it's not so formal anyway.

Well I have been shooting for over 30 years, and I can honestly say I have never sat in a hide waiting for pheasants, pigeons yes, foxes now and again, crows yes, duck/geese yes, but never pheasants, perhaps this is a branch of shooting that has been hidden to me?

I didnt suggest that people do wait in hides for pheasant you haven't missing out on anything over your 30+yrs of shooting

So no need to panic

Most people from what i can tell prefer a o/u for pheasant maybe THAT IS BECAUSE you're stood waiting for guaranteed birds and not stuck in a hedge/hide where the gun can get dinked, personally if it ain't on a clay ground i take the semi auto or a pump action

I added the extra few words in caps to clarify what i meant sorry the first post was not completely understandable

I have got a super black eagle 2 and i have been thinking about swapping it in for the beretta a400 xtreme so if i was you on your budget given i vote beretta a400.

I think the sbe2 is slightly over rated in all the hype it gets comfortech stock etc none of it seems to make a high difference as advertised.

What your question really boils down to is would you prefer gas or inertia, if gas go beretta if inertia benelli/browning A5

I am going in this week and if the trade in price is good i will have the beretta A400 xtreme by the end of the week

thanks rusty I'll look them up now :)

are the xtreme only in camo style? ? I

Well I have been shooting for over 30 years, and I can honestly say I have never sat in a hide waiting for pheasants, pigeons yes, foxes now and again, crows yes, duck/geese yes, but never pheasants, perhaps this is a branch of shooting that has been hidden to me? :hmm: The op has not mentioned if he will be walking them up, or standing on a peg, I will accept that on a "formal" driven shoot a semi auto is perhaps not the ideal gun(in this country) and a sbs(my preference) or an o/u would be more acceptable, certainly to peppery old gentlemen of the old school, however standing on a peg waiting for driven birds, even the rather well worn argument about autos being less safe than other guns. does not hold water, I could even see an argument for using an auto on any shoot on health grounds perhaps for a lady or gent not in the first flush of youth, possibly a little frail, where the low recoil of a gas operated semi auto would allow them to continue to enjoy the sport for longer, at the end of the day use what you want, but be safe, that is all that matters in my opinion :yes:

I agree, no less safe than any other gun if handled properly and are visibly safe if you insist anyone using them has a breach flag.

That's always the main worry on a clay shoot or formal shoot, that you have someone walking around with barrels that can't be broken and thus are pointing at people, without anyone ever knowing if the gun is safe. That's why on fomral shoots they tend to be banned or frowned upon. A breach flag overcomes that instantly as it both blocks the chamber and visibly shows others that the gun is in a safe state.

I don't have a semi-auto, but if I did, I'd use a breach flag even if rough shooting in company for when walking between fields / over gates etc. Safety comes from good practice and semi autos shouldn't be feared if handled safely.

As for it not being a proper gun, they shoot, kill etc just as well as any other shotgun, in fact some would say better because there's less recoil to affect a 2nd shot. The only time a semi-auto can be a pain is when clay shooting from cages as sometimes the ejected cartridge can hit the cage and come back at you. Outside of a cage, they're a very good gun.

are the xtreme only in camo style? I

Here's a brief rundown:

The A400 Xtreme is a 3.5", 12ga. shotgun designed primarily for duck hunting. It is built to withstand harsh conditions, like snow, sleet and saltwater. It also fires 2 3/4 and 3" shells. It comes in black synthetic and camo.

The A400 Xplor Unico is a 3.5, 12ga. shotgun designed primarily for upland hunting. It has a walnut stock, is lighter than the Xtreme (for the long trekking of upland hunt)

The A400 Xplor Action is a 20ga. shotgun for upland hunting, super-light and very low recoil. It has a wood stock.

The A400 Xplor Light rounds off the Xplor line, and it's an in-between model, between the Action in 20ga. and the Unico in 12ga. It's a 12ga. 3" light shotgun with wood stock.

The last shotgun in the A400 line is the Xcel, which is designed for clay shooting. It has a longer barrel and is slightly heavier.

Hope this helps you decide.

I have a friend that owns and shoot regularly an xplor unico since he dislikes camo and synthetic and he swears by it

Edited by Ruster

Semi autos when handled with proper care and adherence to safe gun handling are no more dangerous than any other gun....

However... there are a worrying number of folks out there that seem to think a gun with the 'safety' :rolleyes: on is perfectly harmless and as such have developed horrendous attitudes to gun handling! Hence, semi's and pump guns produce an uncomfortable feeling among many in a sociable shooting scene. :yes:

On your completely informal rough shoot with a couple of good shooting mates, they're fine, because the trust is there. But if there is any chance one might want to shoot on invites or bought days, just buy a double barrelled gun. At best you'll get a few remarks, at worst you'll be told to go home and come back with a 'proper' gun.

I love my old Beretta 390, it was my first gun and I did plenty of rough shooting with it, but I wouldn't dream of turning up for anything more formal with it.

Semi Auto's are f***ing great guns! Everybody should have one! :D

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

are the xtreme only in camo style? I

Here's a brief rundown:

The A400 Xtreme is a 3.5", 12ga. shotgun designed primarily for duck hunting. It is built to withstand harsh conditions, like snow, sleet and saltwater. It also fires 2 3/4 and 3" shells. It comes in black synthetic and camo.

The A400 Xplor Unico is a 3.5, 12ga. shotgun designed primarily for upland hunting. It has a walnut stock, is lighter than the Xtreme (for the long trekking of upland hunt)

The A400 Xplor Action is a 20ga. shotgun for upland hunting, super-light and very low recoil. It has a wood stock.

The A400 Xplor Light rounds off the Xplor line, and it's an in-between model, between the Action in 20ga. and the Unico in 12ga. It's a 12ga. 3" light shotgun with wood stock.

The last shotgun in the A400 line is the Xcel, which is designed for clay shooting. It has a longer barrel and is slightly heavier.

Hope this helps you decide.

I have a friend that owns and shoot regularly an xplor unico since he dislikes camo and synthetic and he swears by it

thanks a million for this rusty, given my gun dealer a ring on this later, after I watch a few reviews :)