Hancock Lurchers

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've kept lurchers for close to forty years, none of em directly from Hancock, and most of those were shite too!

As a general comment, rather than one about a specific breeder I can't see a problem with farmers culling stock or those who have spare puppies from a home bred litter culling those excess to requirem

Anthony,.you original question was a wee bit naive,...   You ask to hear the opinions from lads who have owned and used dogs, that came via David Hancock,.but,.only if they have something nice to sa

Posted Images

As a general comment, rather than one about a specific breeder I can't see a problem with farmers culling stock or those who have spare puppies from a home bred litter culling those excess to requirements, better than them ending up in a pound when sold cheap to some idiot who gets shot at the first sign of trouble.

Oh they will still sell to any idiot aswell,as long has you have £300 cash is doesnt matter who you are..I cut litters down myself,because I dont think its good for bitch or pup and Im not counting profit, but you have to be some cold b*****d to kill a whole litter of perfectly healthy big strong pups that are 4 or 5 months old that have learned to enjoy there existance.

I never looked into them mate had them both as older pups seperate times and unentered both were pretty below average dogs nothing on the bull xs I moved onto got a heavy one a tall racey one and a smaller finer one beats the Hancock, and I didn't have a clue about the breeding it didn't interest me

So these saplings you bought that were shite were they actually from Hancock or some one else who had bought them as young pups?

I never looked into them mate had them both as older pups seperate times and unentered both were pretty below average dogs nothing on the bull xs I moved onto got a heavy one a tall racey one and a smaller finer one beats the Hancock, and I didn't have a clue about the breeding it didn't interest me

So these saplings you bought that were shite were they actually from Hancock or some one else who had bought them as young pups?

Here's the thing to me, if someone hasn't got much of a clue with dogs, it could be from the best blood and the best breeder in the world, they'd still not make much of the dog. PLENTY of these type of people about, and yes, I include myself to a certain point when first starting out, but, some people never learn

its been done to death,there will allways be breeders about,i personally would rather a dog from a private person taking a litter from workers.i dont like the repetive lining of bitches ,not much excersize,kennelled up raising pups most of thier lives.im planning to take a litter off my dog,the thought of several idiots buying one and mis treating them worrys me.your a dog lover or someone who keeps dogs.i work mine f.....k hard but treat them right.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys off the lads who have experienced owning a hancock dog.

The thing is, there isn't a specific type of dog that Hancock breeds. He has many different dogs and bitches and they produce different types of pup, both physically and mentally.

Mine was sired by "Johndog" (now dead) out of a greyhound bitch they called "Molly 2". She's a decent enough rabbit bitch and a good nose dog, winkling out hares, foxes and deer quite well. She's less good at stopping the foxes, hares and deer, not really having the gears to be a decent haredog and being a bit too "carefull" with the others! :laugh::laugh: She's also a great pet and does her bit keeping the freezer filled.

2013_02060009.jpgAttem.jpg

• Like 2

it takes years to produce good working all round lurchers , so going to just by any old collie lurcher from non tried workers can be chancy , the books they wrote were a selling magnet for pups ,been years since i saw agood allround hancock ,there were plenty in late eighties early ninties but not saw many nowadays ,better back yard breeders about nowadays ,or hobby breeders and workers

• Like 1