Daystate Huntsman

I've had three Huntmans and four Regals now. Got rid of the last Regal last week. All were bought brand new. All but one was woefully poor and the good one was average.

Either I'm the unluckiest man in the world when it comes to Daystate Huntsman/Regals or they are substandard, overhyped, badly made, overpriced crap.

To compare one to an HW100 is just plain silly. Apart from looking nice they just don't match them in any way, shape or form.

I liked the looks so much I bought seven but I have finally learned, (I'm a bit thick), that they aren't worth half the price. The BSA Ultra is a far superior gun for almost half the cost.

I did have a very, very good MK4is though and I regret letting it go.

Chris

• Like 4

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks to me John like, you will have to get your Regal to a proper gunsmith who knows his PCPs to make it work as it should. It's more cash to fork out, but, you should get your rifle back working

Like our learned Villaman I had very little confidence in the Daystate fold. I have had two MKIV IS which were not particularly well built rifles. Accurate yes but moderate engineering at a premium pr

I've had three Huntmans and four Regals now. Got rid of the last Regal last week. All were bought brand new. All but one was woefully poor and the good one was average. Either I'm the unluckiest man

Posted Images

its only a slug gun lads and it shoots just as good as my hw100 end of lads both get pellet at 35yrds av had no problems what can a say. And if you bought 7 that's crap mate a bought one and it shoots great end of and how can Ye not compare it to hw100 they the same power both shoot the same at 35yrd what's the diff not like we shooting at a 1000 yards a have no problems with the mag or bolt or power or anything for that matter

Well why not av got the money to do so. And sorry villaman you world of information you forgot you the airgun master. The regal dose shoot just as good as the he100 at 35 yards and further and have no problems with it everything works perfect on the gun!! not saying am a expert at all what is the big difference then villaman if the regal is working spot on do tell seems so you no everything ????

Carlo, here's a list of things that were wrong with my guns.

Underpowered (all of them 10fpe to 10.6 fpe) despite Daystate saying they weren't.

Stiff/siezed bolts (3 of them)

Rattling or misaligned shroud (5 of them)

Leaks (3 of them)

Uncrowned barrel (1 of them)

Vibration and 'ting' noise on firing (6 of them)

Magazine failure/misalignment (2 of them)

Inconsistant velocities (3 of them)

Unacceptably loud hammer action (all of them)

When I had sorted the power and bolt issues on the 'good' one and put a Huggett silencer on it, it was still bloody loud. The action itself is loud not the blast of air.

Chris

• Like 3

Well a no you points lads a did take them all on bored when a bought the gun all am saying av had non of these problems and the gun works just as good as me hw100 a do not have a clue what's inside them but it shoots just as well and a no a lot of lads who are just as happy as me with the regal. when a fest bought it a rang the airgun centre and blackpool airguns and my local gun shop and asked hw100 or regal they both said to me regal so a did and av no problems very happy with the gun. A bought the hw100 few weeks back a done the same looked for what problems you get with them so a no when a got one a new what to look for a joined to sites on facebook and the was a lot of people saying they had problems with there hw100 and a lot of people who did not. but again a have had no problems what so ever with the hw100 amd would argue the same point.

Heard that before as well don't no why any shop would sell you a poor gun that has so many problems like use say or recommend one just makes them look terrible to be fair and would say that would be bad for business and give them a dad name and it's not that a ask one shop a rang a few including my local airgun shop who a no well and he said the same as well.

Well they do work. They are very accurate. They are good to handle and shoulder. Heres proof. That though is on a good day. Alright, I am being devils advocate here.

This rifle will not outdo my S410, or the small Ultra I also use. What they do though, is work 100% of the time. Honestly the S410 is five years old and it has never misfired or malfunctioned. Likewise this Ultra ( BSA replaced the original )

Chris make some brilliant points about noise in Daystates offerings. Since this one came back after its six week holiday, well it sounds like a twin tub washer. Daystate won't answer questions as to why. Or seem that bothered.

The S410 is silent, likewise the Ultra. The other big thing of course is price.

An Ultra can be had for about £400, the S410 about £500. A Regal, well £800.

What most of us need is a rifle that works, consistently. This Regal does not. You have read elsewhere about my woes.

I spend more time beggaring about with it than any other gun I have ever owned.

So, if you get a good one like Carlo, congratulations. Most of us seem to have problems at one time or another.

My next air rifle will be another Air Arms, or a German. On price the German is winning at the moment. I like the Ultimate Sporter, it still has design flaws though, trigger mounted safety and the magazine sits too high. Aye, that German looks very attractive!

post-95496-0-98499900-1416141328_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yep the is a lot of good points but a think you find that with a lot of guns good and bad a had a s410 and a fac one was the best gun a ever had total wish a never sold them both a bought me regal a even asked the lad to sell it back he said no ? bought the regal then a month after a got the hw100 and as far as can tell they both shoot the same had no probs with either guns unless a got sold the dud hw100 and am missing summit??

Edited by carlo5983

It looks to me John like, you will have to get your Regal to a proper gunsmith who knows his PCPs to make it work as it should. It's more cash to fork out, but, you should get your rifle back working as well as mine now does....Unless there's something radically out of line with it.

Chris/Seamaster. Yours is a bad tale of woe! You'll have your reasons for buying multiple Huntsmans and Regals but, you would expect a rifle of this price-point with so many faults to be a one-off, rather than a commonly-held duffer across a whole type in production! :huh::icon_eek: Your collective bill would come to several thousands of pounds for these rifles. Only to find one was an average performer? That is disgusting contempt for the customer.

I must go back to my original assessment and say again, we are being sold an over-priced, under-made lemon here. Daystate are the airgunner's British Leyland it seems. And if you get a good one, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

If we are to have a reliable spring piston or PCP air rifle these days, we need the Germans. I'd like to buy British, but, even Air Arms are not as once they were either. Their guns are a hit and miss affair too nowadays.

As with a lot of things we no longer make ourselves, we are not up to the job with air rifle manufacturer either. Very sad to say, our air guns used to be the best you could buy. Not anymore. :cray:

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 4

I agree Simon, I have tried tuning this Regal myself. Not being a braggart, but I can usually fettle a PCP or rimmy myself. The problems with this seem to stem from tolerances in the action. Seals leak, stuff rattles and yes, British Leyland springs to mind. As my lads Regal had major problems too, well it shows bad parts sourcing to me. And total lack of quality control. I described it elsewhere as a Prima Donna, the more I use it the more convinced I am of this.

I must admit to being very tempted by Ripley, its the same kind of monetary outlay and I can't find a bad word against them. I do like the German though. I borrowed one at the weekend, its heavy but very pleasing to shoot and seems well made.

Its akin to the look on my brother in laws face a few years back. He was crowing about his new Jaguar, when I told him it was a Mondeo chassis and engine, well, the look his face still brings a smile!

• Like 1