Variable Or Fixed Magnification???

Right I am adding a .17HMR to my ticket asap.

I have a .22LR with a variable mag optic i am woundering what I should be looking at to put on the HMR.

Some people say no need for varible on a .22 ok but what fixed optic is best if the magority of shots are at 50-60yds.

Now as the HMR has a further range (in the right hands) Am I better off swapping my variable off my .22lr and getting a fixed on that or do i put fixed on the HMR.

What are the pros and cons of each plz.

next question what is the best way of zeroing an optic and what is the optimum distance for each caliber (.22 and .17)

Thanks Guys and gals :signthankspin:

On my 22lr i have a leupold 6x42 and it's great.

On my 22wmr i have a fixed 16x and it's also great in daylight but a waste of time at night. I'm looking for a fixed 10x for my 22wmr.

Things like zoom just add more possible problems to cheap scopes. I'd much rather a 2nd hand fixed zoom leupold off ebay then a brand new zoom scope for the same money. There's plenty of leupold 6x42 on ebay but not sure 6x is enough for bunny bashing at 100-150yards

• Like 1

My eyesight is getting bad, finding optics a struggle now. Had a scan online as I like irons and found a sight called "See All" ( cant do links Luddite! ) Based in Idaho. Fixes straight onto Weaver and has no foresight, can be used on any firearm. The theory seemed sound and it looks tough. A fibre block gathers light and a small triangle appears on the target, its parallax free as well.

Still waiting for it to arrive but it seems to offer a good alternative to optics.

My favourite sight is a BSA Basics fixed x 30. Mounted on a .17 its great out to a 100 yds. Only cost £30 from Uttings and mil dot. Daylight only of course, but then old farts like me don't go out after dark....... :rofl:

• Like 1

A .22 needs a decent mil dot ( to calculate drop at longer ranges) but changing magnification alters the range between dots so fixed mag might be preferable. Zero at 50 or 60 yards.

On my hmr I use a 3-9x50 Bushnell, excelent in low light and easy to vary mag to increase field of view. Changing mag has no effect on zero. Zero at 100 yards, you don't need mil dots to calculate the hold over.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheap scopes may move zero, quality scopes dont. I have a vaiable on a Docter, because I do various types of shooting. Its spot on at any mag. But it dod cost a grand.

As always its down to quality versus affordability.

Buy as good a quality as you can afford. In my humble folk compromise too much on glass.

On my 22lr i have a leupold 6x42 and it's great.

On my 22wmr i have a fixed 16x and it's also great in daylight but a waste of time at night. I'm looking for a fixed 10x for my 22wmr.

Things like zoom just add more possible problems to cheap scopes. I'd much rather a 2nd hand fixed zoom leupold off ebay then a brand new zoom scope for the same money. There's plenty of leupold 6x42 on ebay but not sure 6x is enough for bunny bashing at 100-150yards

This just shows how everyone has a different view and prefers different things...16x FIXED on a WMR, now I think that is a joke, no offence intended as that works for you, but even 10x Fixed, as you are looking for, would not be on my agenda.

Variable every time for me on every scope and rifle I have, most start about 3x or 4x, a couple 6x, I don't even use 16x on the range out to 600 yards, usually about 8-10x, maybe 12x.

That works for me, but we are all different, I have no problems putting a HMR in a bunnies head 150 yards away at 6x with a HMR, although in truth I don't often push the HMR quite that far!

ATB! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

All depends on what you want to do.

I recently bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50

I'll zoom out to x24 mag if I misjudge the target distance and count how many MRAD I need to adjust the scope by on the follow up shot. It's nice to see the bullet holes at 200 yards to find out how your group is shaping up. I'll probably leave the scope on x12 mag for general use but it's nice to have a bit of versatility :thumbs:

Edited by Elliott