has anyone been lamping with a doberman?

Hi,

Iv been taking my doberman for walks in a public place (its full of hills, woods etc...a good few hours walk around) and noticed how she picks up the scent and then is off, iv not tried with a lamp for fear of being arrested. Has anyone been lamping with dobermans...shes fast enough and would bring whatever she gets back, and does anyone know of any farms in the lancashire area where i could take her, preferably with a lot or rabbits so she gets a good few runs?

thanks

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah she is more of a guard dog/pet for us its just shes so keen she'll sniff a trail back to a rabbit hole (haha and half way round the field...which i supose isnt so un-common for a dog) and looks at me almost pleading with me to magic one out so she can get it!

What sort of things should i look for in a lurcher to make a good lamping dog?

Enjoying this site a lot!

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah she is more of a guard dog/pet for us its just shes so keen she'll sniff a trail back to a rabbit hole (haha and half way round the field...which i supose isnt so un-common for a dog) and looks at me almost pleading with me to magic one out so she can get it! i can see shes got the potential for hunting if ya know what i mean..

What sort of things should i look for in a whippett to make a good lamping dog?

Enjoying this site a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Ive never heard of anyone working a doberman on the lamp but hey why not give it a go!I had a friend who had a bull mastiff ,all in all it was a great dog would jump anything you asked it too.He took it with us lamping one night and we all laughed,until it picked up a sitter on the lamp and retrieved it.He was over the moon ..Lol :tongue4: :yahoo:

Guest oldskool

absolutely nothin wrong with givin it a go :thumbs: ... i think there is a few on here includin my self who lamped with full bred collies and there is also a few on here that have lamped with full bred bull terriers!!

Dobes are not the most reliant when working. I did working trials with one of mine. One day the top Police Bod at the time said he was the best working dog of any breed he had ever seen. 3 months later and true to breed, he completely switched off and couldnt even perform a sit on command!!

• 11 months later...
Dobes are not the most reliant when working.... 3 months later and true to breed, he completely switched off and couldnt even perform a sit on command!!

Dobermans are one of the most reliant working dogs ever! And I don't know whats so true to the breed about it switching off. It must have had terrible nerves and been badly trained, or been from English show lines. I don't know about a dobe lamping, but get a European working bred Doberman and it will do anything from pointing to search and rescue to schutzhund.

I'm actually trying my dobe at lamping and he's showing great potential. As fast as a greyhound anyway and would have no hesitation about catching a rabbit. fast turning is harder, but I think he would catch a rabbit. (If we could bloody find one!)

Dobes are not the most reliant when working.... 3 months later and true to breed, he completely switched off and couldnt even perform a sit on command!!

Dobermans are one of the most reliant working dogs ever! And I don't know whats so true to the breed about it switching off. It must have had terrible nerves and been badly trained, or been from English show lines. I don't know about a dobe lamping, but get a European working bred Doberman and it will do anything from pointing to search and rescue to schutzhund.

I'm actually trying my dobe at lamping and he's showing great potential. As fast as a greyhound anyway and would have no hesitation about catching a rabbit. fast turning is harder, but I think he would catch a rabbit. (If we could bloody find one!)

Can you please explain to me why there has only been one (perhaps 2) obedience champion Dobes? Can you please explain to me why there have been no working trials champions to date in this country (that I can think of) Can you explain to me why the Police will NOT use them, despite the fact they are faster and bite harder than the GSD?

My friends were out on the continent recently with their Dobes, they mated a bitch to an Italian Dog, they commented on how shy some of the Dobes were, they are also becoming very front heavy in many cases. we imported European Dogs to improve heads on English Dobes which they have in many cases, however they havent done much more for the breed other than that. I owned my first Dobe in 1988, he worked brilliantly when he wanted to, but switched off when he chose too!

I can't see why you shouldn't at least try. Nobody has asked yet, but is your Dobe stock broken? I think that could be a stumbling block for you, if he has been broken to stock, why not consider working the Dobe with a Whippet or Lurcher.

I have a Bullcross and a Rottie that have worked quite well (good enough for me anyway). If and when I can get back into it, I intend working a Shar Pei with them as he is really keen and works relentlessly. What I found with the Bullcross/Rottie was the Bull would turn stuff back at the Rottie which was a good back up :thumbs: