Cold Start Problem Zafira 2.0 Dti Diesel

Just a couple of cold mornings.but no frost upto yet.the car been a pig to start.must turn over a dozen times before it fires up-but does.

from hot starts on the button no probs.

the pre-heat light only comes on a couple of seconds from cold?is this normal?

no pre heat light when hot.

When cold the little service light comes on and stays on for a couple of minutes? handbook says this is electrical fault?

i cannot get the connection off the glow plugs all 4 are solid.otherwise i would check there is 12volts there when pre-heat light is on.-but i can here the relay for the glow plugs click.

Basically i have not taken the car in antwhere to get tested as the last 2 weeks i had me dad in hospital,my wife ill with heart problems and i work full time so as you can guess ive been run off my feet so to speak.

if from cold i remove the coolant sensor connection off top of the thermostat then the pre-heater lamp will stay on a good 5 seconds and the car will start easy.then plug back in the sensor.

ive done a reasistance test on the sensor from cold and the hot and got 2 very different readings in ohms-would say that could be right?

has anyone else had the same or any auto sparkys or mechanics on here come acroos this before

Cheers

• Like 2

Is there any smoke out the exhaust? And even if you got the connector off the glow plug you wouldn't know if the glow plugs were f****d? And you need to measure the ohms on the glow plugs a good glow plug should be approx 15 ohms :thumbs:

Sounds like the same problem I had on a vectra, do you notice any difference wethers it's facing uphill or down hill, if the problem only occurs when facing uphill it's most likely the fuel is running back to the tank if the fuel filter is situated high on the bulk head, fuel pump has to work extra hard to get the fuel up, atb

Sounds like the same problem I had on a vectra, do you notice any difference wethers it's facing uphill or down hill, if the problem only occurs when facing uphill it's most likely the fuel is running back to the tank if the fuel filter is situated high on the bulk head, fuel pump has to work extra hard to get the fuel up, atb

The diesels I've had have lift pumps in or near the fuel tank, can't see how that would be a problem unless the lift pump was fcuked...
  • 3 weeks later...

well thats solved it.

park it facing down hill

new glow plugs

heater plug relay

lift pump ( maybe)

return valve

coil or sensor/switch problem

after all that it will be spot on :laugh:

just to give you something else to think about, on my old 4x4 i had similar problem and had to put a new battery on :laugh:

only messing but it did tickle me

Had the same problem,,,and I've herd it's a comon one in them, I put a none return valve in the fuel line only took five mins anyone could do it,,,,£4 off the bay

This cured it for about a month,,,then it did it again,,so I bought another valve,,,this didn't work,,so I got a new fuel filter housing and filter,,,that cured it,,,for another month or two,,,then started again,,,feck. ME...

The next step was car cociane,,,,(easy start )that works everytime,,,

But mines the same park down hil and it's fine

To rule out glow plugs.. Take the glow plugs out, one at a time connect to the positive terminal of battery, using a jump lead, same bit the wire goes to... Then touch another part to the earth, if it doesn't heat quickly, it's fecked

Good Vauxhall forum is migweb

Edited by Joe1888