Kerry Blue Wanted

Just my opinion, but as I've said before the Kerry Blue was never anything other than a rough and ready cur.

Like most of the Irish breeds he'd have been a jack of all trades but master of none.

SO, if someone wanted to restore the Kerry Blue back to his former glory then IMO it wouldn't be a hard job.

The breeds of today that still have good solid working lines (ie. the Patterdale, the Wheaten etc.) have always had owners who've wanted success in the show ring and the bank account , with their own self induced egos.

But these breeds have also always had good men behind them who've had the breeds working ability to heart first and foremost.

If the like of these men stay loyal to a breed it should never suffer and let the peddlers and show men do their own thing, f**k them.

So if some one wanted to take on a breeding project regarding a working breed it would suit them better to put their time and effort into keeping one of the types that are going strong instead of trying to resurrected a Dodo.

And at the end of the day one of the main reasons the likes of the border and the jack russell is struggling is because they were second rate workers to the breeds that can actually do the job.

Simple as that.

:yes:

If a breed is worth anything as a worker the lads that need it will keep the strain alive no matter what the show brigade do, that's how we end up with show/working strains of most working breeds. I'd say if the working strain dies out it's nothing to do with the show brigade it's because they weren't worth their feed as workers. Most of these Irish breeds died out when the APBT became readily available to the working man, that's no coincidence. They found a breed more suited to the task at hand so left their native breeds in the hands of the show folk.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you say "any help appreciated" I presume you mean your friend needs help. I would agree, anyone looking for a Kerry Blue on a working terrier forum needs help.   Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Just my opinion, but as I've said before the Kerry Blue was never anything other than a rough and ready cur. Like most of the Irish breeds he'd have been a jack of all trades but master of none. SO,

Bushranger, I've yet to meet a breeder of Kerry Blues who's dogs weren't the gamest, best hunters out there. Years ago a breeder of Glen of Imalls was telling me how game his Glens were. You know wh

Posted Images

Just my opinion, but as I've said before the Kerry Blue was never anything other than a rough and ready cur.

Like most of the Irish breeds he'd have been a jack of all trades but master of none.

SO, if someone wanted to restore the Kerry Blue back to his former glory then IMO it wouldn't be a hard job.

The breeds of today that still have good solid working lines (ie. the Patterdale, the Wheaten etc.) have always had owners who've wanted success in the show ring and the bank account , with their own self induced egos.

But these breeds have also always had good men behind them who've had the breeds working ability to heart first and foremost.

If the like of these men stay loyal to a breed it should never suffer and let the peddlers and show men do their own thing, f**k them.

So if some one wanted to take on a breeding project regarding a working breed it would suit them better to put their time and effort into keeping one of the types that are going strong instead of trying to resurrected a Dodo.

And at the end of the day one of the main reasons the likes of the border and the jack russell is struggling is because they were second rate workers to the breeds that can actually do the job.

Simple as that.

exactly right, it's why i went with tried and tested breeds bred from worker to work,I haven't the patience or desire to re-invent the wheel, if they were that good back in the day they would of maintained some kind of working following for sure but there were obviously far superior breeds for the same job

• Like 1

I like the look of the Latharna Working Wheatens,,,,,,I think The show Kerry is a superior dog to the show wheaten, better breeders maybe. All them Irish Terrier breeds are no match as fighters to the king of the ring APBT....I did laugh one morning trying to stop a fight apbt vs Kerry were the Kerry got a hold of the pits back leg and started shaking it out...but that's all it was funny,,,the kerry would not last long left to there own,..that's my bet anyway...you never know in sport, sometimes underdogs are lucky.

Brian Plummer wrote the following, he new his dogs, He also wrote about Fell Terriers.

post-43151-0-84246100-1422387524_thumb.jpg

post-43151-0-37232000-1422387540_thumb.jpg

post-43151-0-63239100-1422388001.jpg

Edited by bushranger
  • Like 1

Simple as that.

what about Irish terrier , how do you rate them,? I know they can like be sharp with other dogs, but haven't few lads x them into lurchers and coursing stuff few years ago, so must have bit of something about them :yes:

IMO a terrier facing an animal bigger than its self under ground is a very different job to a lurcher chasing and killing an animal a fraction of its size, brave still but a different ball game all together.the two should never be compared

• Like 1

Simple as that.

what about Irish terrier , how do you rate them,? I know they can like be sharp with other dogs, but haven't few lads x them into lurchers and coursing stuff few years ago, so must have bit of something about them :yes:

It's something I often wondered about Bird.

I've heard of a few working Kerry's over the years but I can't remember hearing of a working Irish ,not one with a reputation any way.

The Irish terrier was just another rough cur but the reason I think they were successful as a lurcher cross was because the Irish seemed to throw a racier type than the other terrier crosses.

Let me put it this way, there were more than a few 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Irish terrier hybrids that were well known hare killers (by those days standards) but there's not too many 3/4 Greyhounds 1/4 Wheatens that could kill the odd hare.

Even though the wheaten cross has too be gamer it wasn't faster.

I can think of plenty of Irish terrier crosses that had big reps but I've only had experience of one Kerry Blue cross. She was a first cross who was handy on rabbits and foxes on the lamp and survived a badly broken neck and fully recovered.

She was sold to England and that was over 20 years ago.

In the village I live in now there's a lad who lost a Kerry Blue to ground 10 or 12 years ago. I wasn't there but I think the dog got stuck and smothered.

I also remember two Kerry's when I was young not far from my house that could get their muzzles under their yard gate and any dog who had a sniff would get destroyed if nailed by the two Kerry Blues. That was until a friends red Staff had a sniff one day and nearly pulled both Kerry Blues onto the road and that finished their days as guard dogs.

There was another man near me who lived down a quiet lane who always kept Kerry Blues and one he had put a lot of local dogs in the local vets surgery, including a jack russell of mine 3 times.

In those days you just accepted these things but that Kerry Blues bullying days were ended by a farmers collie who showed him to be cur too.

My mother in law had a dog and bitch Kerry blues my the Lord rest her soul don't know what sort of line or stock but they were vicious decking things she lived in the new Forrest if they got out and they did quite often they would team up und nail anything

my step mother had 2 of them about 6 or 7 years ago one of them was 8yrs old and one was about 5yrs old at the time, while out on a walk along the river they came across a mink, cut a long story short the mink got away and the younger 5 yr old one died at the vets, a pair of w@$kers if you ask me. not a breed I'd be too interested in at all

Simple as that.

It's something I often wondered about Bird.

I've heard of a few working Kerry's over the years but I can't remember hearing of a working Irish ,not one with a reputation any way.

The Irish terrier was just another rough cur but the reason I think they were successful as a lurcher cross was because the Irish seemed to throw a racier type than the other terrier crosses.

Let me put it this way, there were more than a few 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Irish terrier hybrids that were well known hare killers (by those days standards) but there's not too many 3/4 Greyhounds 1/4 Wheatens that could kill the odd hare.

Even though the wheaten cross has too be gamer it wasn't faster.

I can think of plenty of Irish terrier crosses that had big reps but I've only had experience of one Kerry Blue cross. She was a first cross who was handy on rabbits and foxes on the lamp and survived a badly broken neck and fully recovered.

She was sold to England and that was over 20 years ago.

In the village I live in now there's a lad who lost a Kerry Blue to ground 10 or 12 years ago. I wasn't there but I think the dog got stuck and smothered.

I also remember two Kerry's when I was young not far from my house that could get their muzzles under their yard gate and any dog who had a sniff would get destroyed if nailed by the two Kerry Blues. That was until a friends red Staff had a sniff one day and nearly pulled both Kerry Blues onto the road and that finished their days as guard dogs.

There was another man near me who lived down a quiet lane who always kept Kerry Blues and one he had put a lot of local dogs in the local vets surgery, including a jack russell of mine 3 times.

In those days you just accepted these things but that Kerry Blues bullying days were ended by a farmers collie who showed him to be cur too.

thanks for that :thumbs:

• Like 1

IMO a terrier facing an animal bigger than its self under ground is a very different job to a lurcher chasing and killing an animal a fraction of its size, brave still but a different ball game all together.the two should never be compared

true a terrier is and are brave dogs to face quarry as you as big or bigger than there sleeves . and ive seen over the years lurchers 50-80lb shy off old Charlie once he clamped on t here face few times .yeh little 14lb terrier are brave dogs, prob none more so then good pats. they reckon them German black terriers are good dog as well, but on the big side just for digging .!

• Like 1