Technology

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers Celticrusader will do. I once heard it say that to get the best out of any rifle you need to spend the same money on a scope as you did the rifle ie rifle £500 scope £500 and it has a lot of tr

Oops - My mistake.   No one likes to miss or middle things but zeroing before each session seems a bit unnecessary / impractical to me unless you've got reason to doubt the zero.

I once heard it said the world was flat.   That's bollocks these days, technology and CNC has moved on a pace since early scopes, there are some excellent inexpensive scopes about today, there is n

Posted Images

Well ! I took the rifle out today and, considering my group posted above, it was 2" right and 1 1/2" low today! I gave the rifle and scope a good shaking and tapping and the POI didn't change, So, before I change the scope I re-zeroed and will try it again tomorrow. I have also marked the position of my moderator to ensure it goes back on in the same place.

I can try a different scope ( of which I have a decent one spare) and if no better will consider the mounts. I did slightly tighten one screw yesterday, would that be enough to put if out? The mounts appears firm.

post-94065-0-24429000-1413053313_thumb.jpg

Well ! I took the rifle out today and, considering my group posted above, it was 2" right and 1 1/2" low today! I gave the rifle and scope a good shaking and tapping and the POI didn't change, So, before I change the scope I re-zeroed and will try it again tomorrow. I have also marked the position of my moderator to ensure it goes back on in the same place.

I can try a different scope ( of which I have a decent one spare) and if no better will consider the mounts. I did slightly tighten one screw yesterday, would that be enough to put if out? The mounts appears firm.

attachicon.gif002.JPG

On the face of it that would seem a good idea!

Two questions: 1) Are you taking the scope off for transport? If so, your zero will always be out.

2) Are those the scope mounts you're using? They look like single-screw mounts. If there's only one screw on each side at the top, and one of them was loose, then yes, your zero would be affected.

I personally would throw those mounts away. I've found that quick-release mounts simply don't grip the rifle's dovetail tightly enough. I also would never use mounts with just one screw to hold the scope steady.

Invest in a good-quality one-piece mount like a Sportsmatch, and that might cure your problem.

Two questions: 1) Are you taking the scope off for transport? If so, your zero will always be out.

2) Are those the scope mounts you're using? They look like single-screw mounts. If there's only one screw on each side at the top, and one of them was loose, then yes, your zero would be affected.

I personally would throw those mounts away. I've found that quick-release mounts simply don't grip the rifle's dovetail tightly enough. I also would never use mounts with just one screw to hold the scope steady.

Invest in a good-quality one-piece mount like a Sportsmatch, and that might cure your problem.

Personally I would agree with that, I would never consider single screw or quick release mounts, but then again I don't have to.

There are those that find them acceptable/usable though, such is life.

The mounts came with the rifle, I must admit I was a bit dubious at first but they are well made and seemed solid. I think I'll invest in a new set for my peace of mind.

Coypu - the scope is left in place and feels totally solid but I was never very happy about the single screw.

• Like 1

The mounts came with the rifle, I must admit I was a bit dubious at first but they are well made and seemed solid. I think I'll invest in a new set for my peace of mind.

Coypu - the scope is left in place and feels totally solid but I was never very happy about the single screw.

The only single-screw mounts I've ever had came with a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster -- a small scope I got for a pistol, I think it was a 4X20 or something. Very flimsy, so I quickly replaced them.

While there isn't much recoil at all with a .22LR, I just feel that the extra area of friction provide by a twin-screw mount will keep everything where it's supposed to be. If the mount doesn't come with a strip of adhesive inside the rings, I normally put some double-sided sticky tape in there as well.

Once I've fitted and levelled a scope, then zeroed it, I don't want to be faffing about with it later if it starts coming loose, so I'd rather make sure it's nailed in place right from the start!

It's on a .22 Hornet which goes off with a fair old bang! The scope is a second hand Nikko Sterling Target Master which seems to work pretty well apart from this problem.

I rezeroed last night and left it as in pic. 1/. This morning it shot as in pic. 2/. Took the scope off meaning to fit another one only to discover the tubes were different sizes and I had no spare 16mm mounts, so I remounted the old one. Mounts felt rock solid but no adhesive tape under them.

Rezeroed again and got 3 in the centre, turned the mag. down from 18 to 12 and fired one more - low and left. I had to give up then due to some workers in the field. I thought I had cracked it - altering the mag. was disturbing the reticule!!! A couple of hours later went out again and fired two more at x12 to check -different POI, so two more at x18. Nearly touching!! So that was that theory out.

So, it's a different scope next, trouble is I need to change the mounts for my other scope, that means changing two things so if it's fixed I won't know what the problem was.

post-94065-0-58832800-1413139229.jpgpost-94065-0-43140300-1413139247_thumb.jpgpost-94065-0-27611900-1413139279_thumb.jpg

I called in at my RFD today and all he could see wrong was that the barrel was not sitting centrally in the forend although a piece of paper would still slide along it. He slackened the stock screw amd straightened the barrel and retightened, the space (floating) appeared even.

I noticed that the wood of the forend is failry flexible and can be pushed up to meet the barrel, that should not be a problem as long as I don't press down on the barrel whist shooting.

Then I had a mad idea ! I rest the forend on a V shaped bag to shoot and i realised that in order to gain a little more elevation is was turning the bag at an angle and resting the forend halfway up the raised ends of the rest, obviously with the contact points being uneven. Maybe this was pushing the flexible forend across enough to touch the barrel causing variable POI. Can't check until the morning.