Technology

I agree, but then I shoot on my property and my rifle hangs in an alcove in our mud room, handy for when I need it, and doesn't get knocked around.

If I were driving to a shooting ground though, I'd probably check zero before setting out from the car to stalk anything -- there's always a chance that the scope's been nudged slightly off zero during transport.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers Celticrusader will do. I once heard it say that to get the best out of any rifle you need to spend the same money on a scope as you did the rifle ie rifle £500 scope £500 and it has a lot of tr

Oops - My mistake.   No one likes to miss or middle things but zeroing before each session seems a bit unnecessary / impractical to me unless you've got reason to doubt the zero.

I once heard it said the world was flat.   That's bollocks these days, technology and CNC has moved on a pace since early scopes, there are some excellent inexpensive scopes about today, there is n

Posted Images

Yesterday I slightly moved one mount on the scope on my 22 Hornet ( to fit a rail) so I thougt I'd better check the zero. It was off by a couple of inches so I rezeroed and was getting about 3/4" groups at 100 yards - magic! :thumbs:

Set off out before dawn to wait up for a fox, regular visitor about 8am usually, put out a rabbit carcase for bait. He didn't show so getting bored I decided to shoot one of the magpies feasting on my rabbit. Perfect conditions, 98 yards, lined up, squeezed - total miss !!! That shot has been going through my head all day, I'm sure I was dead on.

How do the rest of you cope with unexplained misses? I admit I haven't had a chance to re check the zero but it was right only a few hours before.

You know what...I had a few a few weeks back on the rabbits with the hmr, couldn't quite figure out what it was so I settled on it being the wind which was up and down and quite rough in patches, that's why I get closer to the ground ( sitting with bipod) for a lot of shots instead of supported aim...still managed a 170yrd shot later on tho :)

Edited by celticrusader

Yesterday I slightly moved one mount on the scope on my 22 Hornet ( to fit a rail) so I thougt I'd better check the zero. It was off by a couple of inches so I rezeroed and was getting about 3/4" groups at 100 yards - magic! :thumbs:

Set off out before dawn to wait up for a fox, regular visitor about 8am usually, put out a rabbit carcase for bait. He didn't show so getting bored I decided to shoot one of the magpies feasting on my rabbit. Perfect conditions, 98 yards, lined up, squeezed - total miss !!! That shot has been going through my head all day, I'm sure I was dead on.

How do the rest of you cope with unexplained misses? I admit I haven't had a chance to re check the zero but it was right only a few hours before.

I'd certainly check my zero before shooting at that distance...

You may find that the car journey nudged the zero a little off, or like Celtic says, a sneaky gust of wind downrange may have done for you...

Edited by Coypu Hunter

Cheers Celticrusader will do. I once heard it say that to get the best out of any rifle you need to spend the same money on a scope as you did the rifle ie rifle £500 scope £500 and it has a lot of truth about it :thumbs:

I once heard it said the world was flat. :laugh::hmm:

That's bollocks these days, technology and CNC has moved on a pace since early scopes, there are some excellent inexpensive scopes about today, there is no way in the world you need to spend £500 on a rimfire scope for general field use these days.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Hi Deker, I didn't say you had to spend £500 on a scope for a rimfire, I was talking for the likes of a cheap centrefire. You could probably buy a new Howa .223 for little more than £500 so don't be telling me that it is fine to put a wee dopey cheap scope on it because the 1st dozen or so rounds through it and the scope would be in joogings :hmm:

Hi Deker, I didn't say you had to spend £500 on a scope for a rimfire, I was talking for the likes of a cheap centrefire. You could probably buy a new Howa .223 for little more than £500 so don't be telling me that it is fine to put a wee dopey cheap scope on it because the 1st dozen or so rounds through it and the scope would be in joogings :hmm:

And I didn't say a wee dopey cheap scope, I said you don't have to spend £500.

And I am telling you that is the case anyway!

There are loads of scopes available for way under £500 that work just fine in the field, and in many cases on the range, on a rimfire or centrefire. None of these below have fallen apart, lost zero, broken, gone milky or become unusable in the dark, and I have never had to refuse a shot because of the scope.

post-10759-0-79431000-1412970154.jpg

.223, .243, and .308

The most expensive here is way under £100 and they all work, the .223 scope is still available from JSR for £47,( http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/riflescopes-jsr-optics/jsr41644-jsr-target-4-16x44-px-adj-mil-dot-riflescope.html ) it achieved a 10 shot string of 8 V Bulls and 2 Bulls at 600 yards at Bisley with a new shooter and a development load, he also admitted it should have been 10 V Bulls but he didn't pay enough attention to the flags.

This historical bull about NEEDING to spend as much on the scope as the gun is bull, by all means spend that or more if you feel inclined, but let nobody tell you it is essential.

Edited by Deker

And I didn't say a wee dopey cheap scope, I said you don't have to spend £500.

And I am telling you that is the case anyway!

There are loads of scopes available for way under £500 that work just fine in the field, and in many cases on the range, on a rimfire or centrefire. None of these below have fallen apart, lost zero, broken, gone milky or become unusable in the dark, and I have never had to refuse a shot because of the scope.

attachicon.gifCentrefireGroupx.jpg

.223, .243, and .308

The most expensive here is way under £100 and they all work, the .223 scope is still available from JSR for £47,( http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/riflescopes-jsr-optics/jsr41644-jsr-target-4-16x44-px-adj-mil-dot-riflescope.html ) it achieved a 10 shot string of 8 V Bulls and 2 Bulls at 600 yards at Bisley with a new shooter and a development load, he also admitted it should have been 10 V Bulls but he didn't pay enough attention to the flags.

This historical bull about NEEDING to spend as much on the scope as the gun is bull, by all means spend that or more if you feel inclined, but let nobody tell you it is essential.

OK point taken, if they work then fair play, cheers :thumbs:

I've had an MTC Viper on top of my .222 for the last five years and it works just fine, I think it was £210 back then,

I've dabbled with the really expensive scopes like the Swaro Z6i and such like but the only difference I noticed was a slight improvement in light transmission at night, but then if you're going to light up the entire field with a lamp, it becomes a bit pointless for the extra £1500 it costs you.

It finally stop raining so I got out to try that rifle ! I couldn't believe it ! :o After having the zero perfect on Tues. my first shot was 4" left ! It took i4 clicks to get it back on target. It's a mystery to me.

attachicon.gifHornet 10 Oct 001_2.jpg

Something strange going on there, Cedric. Did you transport the rifle in the car again? Go over any major bumps?

If not, you may have a loose reticle, in which case the scope will need fixing or replacing.

Absolutely SS ...couldn't agree more and have spent for my cf for foxing and the odd deer but its not worth the slight difference in the evening (mainly when I shoot) for a little bit longer.

And yes Cedric that scopes had it mate and I'd seriously consider not messing around with it and just take it off and replacing it mate.

It was a second hand scope, only bought to see what the extra maginication was like, no great loss if it's shagged.

I'll take it out and give it a good shake in between rounds and see if that effects it. When travelling it's in a padded cover in a purpose built drawer in my car so should not have been knocked to any great extent.