Poor Sale Of Shotgun

So, being a maily rifle person, i thought i would get myself a shotgun a couple of years ago. Lanber u/o for about 500 quid from memory. Didnt use it a great deal but recently booked myself into a set of six lessons to learn proper and aid my hit rate as i intend to do more pigeon shooting.

Lesson one - my gun was an appauling fit, we packed the butt with about an inch and a half and also padded out the stock. Clearly the wrong fit by a mile. How bad of the shop to sell me something like that?! Wont be going there again in a hurry. I feel like taking it back and demanding a refund!!

Needless to say my next five lessons will be with borrowed guns from the club shop. I used one for a couple of clays and the difference was incredible.

• Like 1

As long as the gun was fully functional and safe to use the gun shop will sell you it.

The fitting of the gun, did you not try it in the shop, bringing it up to your shoulder ect, not many gun shops will worry if a £500 gun fits or not to be honest, they are no different to any body else selling their products, sad but true , they got your money for a safe and functional gun, thats were the story ends unfortunately.

Only advice I would give to anybody for what it's worth is, there is a lot of clay pigeon clubs around now and all will have guns for sale, it's worth calling at these clubs first as you can at least try before you buy, and the chances are they will be more helpful than a sales assistant in a gun shop as they will want you back shooting clays after the sale. Good luck with the clays…….atb del

• Like 1

Im not serious about asking for a refund! Just a bit peeved that its so badly fitted, yes i mounted the gun a few times and they had a bit of a look but that was it. I guess if it had been more expensive i would have paid more attention myself! Good excuse to buy another! Budget of 1500 i think....something for clays and also real pigeons....and recommendations?

I've had my Lanber for 5 or 6 years now and couldn't tell you if it's a good fit or not, but with plenty of practice I can hit what I want more often than not.

As long as you don't want to be olympic standard practice is more important than fit IMO.

I've had my Lanber for 5 or 6 years now and couldn't tell you if it's a good fit or not, but with plenty of practice I can hit what I want more often than not.

As long as you don't want to be olympic standard practice is more important than fit IMO.

but practicing bad techniques is even worse!

• Like 1

Don't whinge boy!

A gunshop is just that matey, they sell guns to whoever comes through the door with a licence and some cash.

Don't blame them, unless your a midget or giant haystacks you cant realistically expect 'them' to fit you etc.

A Lanber is a mid range OK gun.

Trade it and get something else (or pay mega$$$ and get a Rupert to make you one.

Im not serious about asking for a refund! Just a bit peeved that its so badly fitted, yes i mounted the gun a few times and they had a bit of a look but that was it. I guess if it had been more expensive i would have paid more attention myself! Good excuse to buy another! Budget of 1500 i think....something for clays and also real pigeons....and recommendations?

Beretta 686 silver pigeon. Equivalent browning or miroku as well.

If your getting a shotgun out of the rack and then a professional gun tutor tells you its a bad fit how on earth can you be up set, ffs man get a grip you spend peanuts what did you think you was getting a custom made Purdy ...lol

And if you get a Purdey and it does not fit, you wont shoot well with that either, Either buy something else or get your Lamber altered so it DOES fit you, have you thought about an auto? Ideal for clays and pigeon, and if you buy a quality one like a Benelli you get different spacers with it so you can adjust the fit to suit you.

Yes, go to a reputable clay ground that sells shotguns , try then buy. It dooes not matter what make it is just as long as it fits and shoots well for you, a clay or a pigeon crow pheasant ect will not know if its being hit with a browning baikal or winchester, if it suits you and you can shoot with it, buy it and stick with it.

Only advice I would give to anybody for what it's worth is, there is a lot of clay pigeon clubs around now and all will have guns for sale, it's worth calling at these clubs first as you can at least try before you buy, and the chances are they will be more helpful than a sales assistant in a gun shop as they will want you back shooting clays after the sale. Good luck with the clays…