No Bull Blood!

the apbt that was used in the 70-80s that were used in lurcher breeding produced some great dogs, they weren't over big and great on anything that bite back :yes: . what makes them different to another lurcher is there (mind-set ) they will take more punishment than any other lurchers doing what there bred for. any lurcher what ever the breeding in general will kill few foxes, its the doing it serious stuff 4-5 times a week getting bite night after night , that where the (proper) bullx lurcher come into its own :yes: . I had good big colliex grey Blaze he kill foxes no prob , but wouldn't take the stick a good bull x would I don't think . And even bit of bull in a lurcher just for rabbits a good thing, they had that more commitment to the job, drop of good bull a good thing I think, had 3 bullxs all good lurchers. got a 1x gsd x grey now and he like a bullx regards commitment to his job he give 100% on what ever you put him on, just like the bullxs did .. :thumbs:

Glad you mentioned the 70 & 80's Bird, because in that era the apbt was at it's very best, and maybe on into the really 90's, in them era's there was a lot of game tested dogs on the scene, genuine tested dogs that had been tested against others of the very same standard.

Bred to a good greyhound bitch these dogs produced the best bull x runners I've ever seen, I personally know of men who had these dogs and had the pleasure to see a few of them doing their job, 5-6 foxes a night 4-5 times a week, in that era it was easy to find foxes in them numbers.

For me the bull x of today is not a patch on the 70's 80's or early 90's, the difference between a game tested dog and a dog that has not been tested is plain to see, not totally knocking todays bull x, but I've seen many turn away and many jack due to just being sore, today i still know of some very very good bred bull x, but for every good one they will be a hell of a lot that don't even warrant being called a bull x.

For me a good foxing dog pre ban other than a bull x would have been without doubt, the Wheaton x, 5/8 3/8 would suit me down to the ground if that was my game.

Might be time to give Mick C a ring :thumbs:

This is what i keep getting at, and i get a bit of stick for, there is a difference between hunting pits and gamedogs, not just gamebred, theres a difference between the two......... just because a dog is gamebred, dont mean its game

• Like 2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More foxes were killed pre ban than there is now ,I'd say simply because of the amount of lads who chucked it when the ban came in, same as the lads with coursing dogs, more Hares were also killed bac

Glad you mentioned the 70 & 80's Bird, because in that era the apbt was at it's very best, and maybe on into the really 90's, in them era's there was a lot of game tested dogs on the scene, genuin

Wheaten if you aint wanting bull blood ....

I had a scatter bred who would be indifferent,

Sometimes he would look at them running away, other times he would run them as if he wasn't going to run again

All dependant wether his blood was up

I think the bull cross gives you that guarantee , that it will run it whatever

It's a very difficult thing to find in a lurcher without that blood IMHO

the apbt that was used in the 70-80s that were used in lurcher breeding produced some great dogs, they weren't over big and great on anything that bite back :yes: . what makes them different to another lurcher is there (mind-set ) they will take more punishment than any other lurchers doing what there bred for. any lurcher what ever the breeding in general will kill few foxes, its the doing it serious stuff 4-5 times a week getting bite night after night , that where the (proper) bullx lurcher come into its own :yes: . I had good big colliex grey Blaze he kill foxes no prob , but wouldn't take the stick a good bull x would I don't think . And even bit of bull in a lurcher just for rabbits a good thing, they had that more commitment to the job, drop of good bull a good thing I think, had 3 bullxs all good lurchers. got a 1x gsd x grey now and he like a bullx regards commitment to his job he give 100% on what ever you put him on, just like the bullxs did .. :thumbs:

Glad you mentioned the 70 & 80's Bird, because in that era the apbt was at it's very best, and maybe on into the really 90's, in them era's there was a lot of game tested dogs on the scene, genuine tested dogs that had been tested against others of the very same standard.

Bred to a good greyhound bitch these dogs produced the best bull x runners I've ever seen, I personally know of men who had these dogs and had the pleasure to see a few of them doing their job, 5-6 foxes a night 4-5 times a week, in that era it was easy to find foxes in them numbers.

For me the bull x of today is not a patch on the 70's 80's or early 90's, the difference between a game tested dog and a dog that has not been tested is plain to see, not totally knocking todays bull x, but I've seen many turn away and many jack due to just being sore, today i still know of some very very good bred bull x, but for every good one they will be a hell of a lot that don't even warrant being called a bull x.

For me a good foxing dog pre ban other than a bull x would have been without doubt, the Wheaton x, 5/8 3/8 would suit me down to the ground if that was my game.

Might be time to give Mick C a ring :thumbs:

:thumbs: spot on del and if i wanted a fox dog with no bull i would look for a decent bred wheaton x

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 1

Now im probably going to get some stick of chid here, and it may seem like im contradicting myself, but as HUNTING DOGS, beddy x's and wheatens x's are hard and mute, the only thing a bull x will have over these is jaw power and finishing ability

i would say wind too,

I used to run a deerhound x greyhound and I would smash 3/4 foxes a night given there out n about. The dog run up along side them and picked them up like rabbits. He stood at 27" and wasn't heavily built. But his mind set and his determination was unbelievable he wouldn't stop until it was puddined

More foxes were killed pre ban than there is now ,I'd say simply because of the amount of lads who chucked it when the ban came in, same as the lads with coursing dogs, more Hares were also killed back before the ban for the same reason. Lads out with Lurchers who used to run the odd Fox/hare up before the ban simply don't bother due to the hassle of it all. Foxes have been killed for decades before the Bullx came on the scene and in a time when it was legal to do so hence more people were doing it. I've seen a lot of non Bull bred dogs knock Foxes over in numbers for fun over the years but the percentage of these dogs doing it is not as high as with the Bullx, bred stuff,but then again I've seen some poor Bullx also over the years. A good Fox dog is a good Fox dog no matter what the breeding .

• Like 8

I'm not a fan of Hancock dogs but credit were its due,there was some very good Fox dogs up this way that were Hancock bred early nineties . These dogs were all direct from Hancock but were 1/2 cross , 5/8 cross and a 3/4 cross the dogs I can remember , all of them 100% on Fox .

I agree with game rooster just because it looks like a pit bull doesn't mean it's game. I think it's probably harder to find a non bull blooded lurcher that will do the job nowerdays Simply because the bull x exists , also the quality of blood that is used in first x's weather it be collies bedlingtons bulldogs [BANNED TEXT] ever is harder to find dogs worth using that are well proven!!!

In my very humble opinion a big old smelly dog fox in December/January with his blood up and fanny on his mind is a whole different ball game to the daft saplings in September, I owned a beddy/whip x grey(23",19kg max) who took to em with fire and brimstone.....he was bought in as a ferreting dog, but showed he had the minerals, although he'd never finish the job as quick as a purpose bred dog, but handy when needed.

Cheers, matt