How Much Meat

• 2 weeks later...

i feed approx 500g of carcases or chicken pieces per day . i also feed raw meaty bones in a morning. he also gets tinned sardines once or twice a week also heart liver and kidneys of all rabbits. i also feed granary bread or pasta ( 2 slices / 100g cooked ) , 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes and other veggies.

i keep the bread or pasta constant and dependent on how he's looking i change the meat content or type. if he's looking lean he gets meat with more fat content if heavy less fat.

works for me and the dog's looking good on it.

• Like 1

2/3rds meat one 1/3 carbs, increase with increased work load. If very lean meat ie rabbit then give some extra fat or oil especially when working hard.

"Sprint/ Weight Pulling Canine Athletes
Dogs involved in sprinting and weight pulling activities such as sight hound racing or sledge pulling competitions undergo short periods of very intense exercise. These types of dogs typically do not have higher energy requirements than those of moderately active pet dogs. A greyhound expends approximately 75 kcal per race. The energy required for these types of activities is solely anaerobic and comes from the muscle energy stores. Most canine athletes engaged in sprint type activities have an energy requirement of 1.6-2 X resting energy rate1. An appropriate feeding regime for sprint type canine athletes consists of a diet that contains approximately 25% calories from protein, 30% calories from fat and 45% calories from carbohydrates " (Performance dog feeding. Arleigh Reynolds, DVM, PhD, DACVN, Jill Cline, PhD)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

2/3rds meat one 1/3 carbs, increase with increased work load. If very lean meat ie rabbit then give some extra fat or oil especially when working hard.

Dogs involved in sprinting and weight pulling activities such as sight hound racing or sledge pulling competitions undergo short periods of very intense exercise. These types of dogs typically do not have higher energy requirements than those of moderately active pet dogs. A greyhound expends approximately 75 kcal per race. The energy required for these types of activities is solely anaerobic and comes from the muscle energy stores. Most canine athletes engaged in sprint type activities have an energy requirement of 1.6-2 X resting energy rate1. An appropriate feeding regime for sprint type canine athletes consists of a diet that contains approximately 25% calories from protein, 30% calories from fat and 45% calories from carbohydrates " (Performance dog feeding. Arleigh Reynolds, DVM, PhD, DACVN, Jill Cline, PhD)

What sort of fat or oil would be best to use for a boost?

• 2 weeks later...

rough guide: depending on the activity levels, between 2% and 4% of the dogs weight. thus, a 50lb dog in heavy work will ned approx 1 kg of flesh per day, a retired dog of the same weight would get about half this amount. more fat when it is cold. any animal fat will do.

Edited by beast
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

What sort of fat or oil would be best to use for a boost?
lard
  • Like 1

I'm likely wrong, but I've always understood pork and tomatoes to be no good for dogs

When we were kids we never fed any pork products to our ferrets as it was said to damage their brains, tomatoes are used by some to counter the build up of lactic acid, and my young bitch loves fat, lard is the drug and she needs to score
  • 4 weeks later...

i feed approx 500g of carcases or chicken pieces per day . i also feed raw meaty bones in a morning. he also gets tinned sardines once or twice a week also heart liver and kidneys of all rabbits. i also feed granary bread or pasta ( 2 slices / 100g cooked ) , 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes and other veggies.

i keep the bread or pasta constant and dependent on how he's looking i change the meat content or type. if he's looking lean he gets meat with more fat content if heavy less fat.

works for me and the dog's looking good on it.

some diet that can I move into your kennels Id look great on that myself. lol

I feed about 350 grams of meat with carbs in the form of pasta rice or biscuits, veg 2 or 3 times a week some ox heart twice a week liver twice a week sometimes add abit of lard n natural yogurt, bones as in chicken wings or lamb ribs with some extra meat once or twice a week, think that's it..

Edited by dodger
  • 3 weeks later...

Good post this I was thinking I was being ott with a whole rabbit a day (less back meat and rear leg meat) then a pint of wag worker lol

You guys are taking things to another level

Cheers for a good read lads

I'm out for 4/5 hours a day with the dog doing 8/10 miles across heather ground forestry up and down mountains.i can see the difference in weight loss in as little as 3 days.if I don't feed enough.when the wife cooks a chicken I get the fat and make the dog a brown bread sandwich with loads of chicken fat in it.

When I stop for a cuppa after say 2 hrs the dog gets the sandwich.and the difference in his energy is clear to see lol.

He's like a missile lol.