Yes, I use a gundog whistle for my whippet, when out at distance I choose to use a quick blast of whistle rather than shouting/screaming at top of my voice...

They come in different pitches (pitch number is stamped on whistle so write it down then if you happen to lose it you can buy same pitch again)...

What dog do you have joe? My pups six months and his recalls ok but not brilliant, and same as you, he hears that many commands with the kids ect it makes it hard when were out, im going to start trying to use the whistle more often now as i think it will be more effective

I use a acme silent type ,one pip she looks at me three pips for recall,she getting the hang of it now at eight months

Thought it would be better than shouting and the recall can be heard over a longer distance

just ordered one of these yesterday less than £3 delivered from evil bay

I ordered one the other day.. was there waiting when i got home today. acme 211.5.. my little un' is always shouting the dogs to come so just recently been having to say a few times before the actually come too me.. going give it ago..atb Ryan.

Whistles just complicate things in my opinion I use a noises I make myself, obviously use some words there name and come here, but I also use noises for find him like a "fssssssssssst", another for I've found him come get him "yayayayayaya" haha people must think I'm mad!!! I prefere the dogs to think for them selfs and hunt 20/30 yards in front of me so it's only when I've seen something myself or no there's something about I have to break silence.

• 1 month later...

How do, I've used both methods to aid recall training with a pup, ie whistle with one and using my own sound with others (years in between pups) for both methods I started off by having the pup siting close up to me indoors with loads of small liver treats at hand,I then gave 2 peeps on the whistle soon as he looked at me touched his collar and gave him a treat and praise, repeated this about 20 times in a row (much to the mrs disgust) carried on doing this for a week, as many times as I could remember to do, never outside just next to me sat in my chair, the next stage was still indoors- house or workshop, every now and again when he was distracted say sniffing about or whatever, I gave the same 2 peeps, as soon as he looked up and came to me touched collar, treat and well over the top praise, after doing this for another week plus with him just sitting next to me when having a cuppa, I then started doing the same routine but introducing the word 'come' straight after the whistle,once again for about a week, the final stage was in the garden, letting him sniff about and do his own thing then 2 quick peeps and hay presto straight to me, touch the collar and treat. I've found this has worked for my dogs, lucky that they have been food orientated for training, saying that had a lovely collie/gre bitch, my daughters favorite little ted became her training treat.The key to it I found was the repetitions as many as I could and it's worked for me.

All the best

chisler