Freya Female Harris Hawk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had freya out for a walk about with a mate and his new female today. Before long we spotted a hare and had a chase on that, both birds caught up to it but I let mine off a little late and my mates lac

Nice mate, my bird had one ferreting today

Kill number 1: And we're off, missed a rabbit after a determined flight. Then the ferret bolted two rats. A big and little one at the same time. The hawk took off the fist and smashed the first one a

I don't dislike lampung but he has a bird that is not responding they way he like and messing about in daylight it will be harder to control her at night as this bird is highly strung and risking her taking a dislike to flying her at night I think could be very damaging to her,I wouldn't want to make her go back any more further than she is,

Fair enough, I've always looked at lamping as quite separate from daytime flying, so maybe I would assume it wouldn't have an effect either way on her daytime performance....

But my lamping was fairly minimal, so I couldn't draw any definite conclusions really....

Yes to us it is but to the birds it's hunting, I do think it's a big risk lamping her I'm not say it won't work but for me it's to bigger risk I personally think she needs to go to Someone with lots of time in the day to get the best understanding of her. That is by no means a dig at you Kyle, I'm just being honest Edited by CrowHawker

I don't dislike lampung but he has a bird that is not responding they way he like and messing about in daylight it will be harder to control her at night as this bird is highly strung and risking her taking a dislike to flying her at night I think could be very damaging to her,I wouldn't want to make her go back any more further than she is,

Fair enough, I've always looked at lamping as quite separate from daytime flying, so maybe I would assume it wouldn't have an effect either way on her daytime performance....

But my lamping was fairly minimal, so I couldn't draw any definite conclusions really....

Yes to us it is but to the birds it's hunting, I do think it's a big risk lamping her I'm not say it won't work but for me it's to bigger risk I personally think she needs to go to Someone with lots of time in the day to get the best understanding of her. That is by no means a dig at you Kyle, I'm just being honest

None taken mate. I agree with you. To be honest I'm just being a little impatient. Her only flaw is trees, flown from the floor or posts shes instant, no messing. I will get her sorted but like you said she needs time and I can't blame her for that with what she was put through. Still got a little while before daylight hours draw in. Thanks for the advice everybody I will let you all know how she gets on.

I think you'll always have a problem with trees, I wouldn't hunt anything for the foreseeable I'd go and find a fallen tree or a small one. and get her on the creance for her rations and I'd do that for a good 5 days nice big rewards from fist and lure il pm you my phone number for a chat.

Well finally a nice day and finally got the redtail out and free :toast: had him following on very well, he had a go at a pheasant I flushed(nowhere near fit enough to follow it for long) and so very nearly got a squirrel that just managed to escape by the skin of its teeth into a hole round the back of the tree ;) but he very nearly had it and he is surprisingly fast for a redtail, and a big male at that, took him out tonight @ 2lb71/4 his response was very good indeed to say he has never been to the land I took him on, so I will work on his fitness now and work hard to get him that important first kill, things are looking promising :thumbs:

• Like 3

Absolutely buzzing tonight, against my better judgement I decided to go lamping tonight. Put her on the creance to see how her recall was and straight away she came any distance everytime no messing. Took her out with hawkingyorkshire. First flight nailed a rabbit running away from her, had it pinned then as I was running to her for some reason or another it got free. The flight was great and she showed real determination for it and chased it till she had very little light left. Second flight another great flight which left the rabbit with a sore arse. Then the wind and rain came so called it a day. Out again tommorow lamping if the weathers ok. Should definetly be an update with a kill tommorow so watch this space lol

• Like 1

I hope it goes well, you deserve a break. Mines had two on the lamp so far but still grabs the rear end so there's room for improvement. Last season she was hitting the ground just behind the rabbit so I'm guessing she's hitting a shadow or only aiming for what she sees which is the tail lol.

Told you she would nail them on the lamp mate, Pointer, try and lead the rabbit slightly, as if you were shooting it with a shotgun, have the beam ever so slightly in front of the rabbit I find it encourages them to grab the head rather than the body :thumbs: well I took the redtail out on the lamp for an hour last night and things did not go to plan :icon_redface: there are not many about on this particular permission, but anyway I found him one that would give him half a chance, he set off after it like a train and almost nailed it, the bunny just making the hedge, I was well chuffed as this was his first trip, but then instead of landing on the ground or on the top of the hedge, oh no off he goes soaring into the air, round and round a couple of times with me frantically trying to find the lure in my many pockets, anyway he drops into the trees in a big wood about a hundred yards away, it took me a good half an hour to locate him about 8 foot up in an oak tree, thank f**k for reflective flying jesses :yes:, but I cant really blame him as it was his first trip, but the next one will be where there are hardly any trees and lots of bunnies, so I am looking forward to it.