Freya Female Harris Hawk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had freya out for a walk about with a mate and his new female today. Before long we spotted a hare and had a chase on that, both birds caught up to it but I let mine off a little late and my mates lac

Nice mate, my bird had one ferreting today

Kill number 1: And we're off, missed a rabbit after a determined flight. Then the ferret bolted two rats. A big and little one at the same time. The hawk took off the fist and smashed the first one a

Never got around to lamping my hawk but might do this season I have but have fed him by torch a lot and he does look at the end of the beam with intention every time and if the food is there he's not long after.

Dog are a bit of a pain I have been out with birds that fly with dogs but they see a dog the don't know or like and back to square one the don't like it

Try and try again if at first and all that !

Hope it all goes well I'm sure you will crack the back of it and post all your good tips for us to view

All the very best

Lee c

Need some opinions please. The problems I'm having are that the hawk is going into trees. Taking ages to come to me, while waiting she's pissing about in the tree. When she finally comes she literally gets within an inch of the glove before flying up and back into the tree or to the next one available. If I fly her off the floor she's almost instant maybe flying over just once or twice. If I take her any lower she's gonna be too low but when I've taken her higher ignorance is again a big issue.

I've been thinking about a lure for when she's being difficult but the amount of trees around here I'm gonna be using it alot and that just seems too much of a hassle all the time. Any opinions are appreciated thanks

• Like 1

Just my opinion for what it's worth, but maybe concentrate on recall for a while rather than hunting......I always finished the session on the lure, wether a kill or not, I usually transferred from a kill to the lure, then pick up....seems a lot of hassle, but it pays dividends....

I varied recall amounts a lot, sometime being too generous, if this cuts short a session, so be it, it helps in the long run...

I used the lure as sparingly as possible on the recall, but when I did, it always worked.

Try going out, splitting the ration in four, recall from trees to first 3 bits & then last bit to lure & then go home, call it a day....

Edited by Accip74

Just my opinion for what it's worth, but maybe concentrate on recall for a while rather than hunting......I always finished the session on the lure, wether a kill or not, I usually transferred from a kill to the lure, then pick up....seems a lot of hassle, but it pays dividends....

I varied recall amounts a lot, sometime being too generous, if this cuts short a session, so be it, it helps in the long run...

I used the lure as sparingly as possible on the recall, but when I did, it always worked.

Try going out, splitting the ration in four, recall from trees to first 3 bits & then last bit to lure & then go home, call it a day....

Will do mate, been focusing on recalls but she's still being a twat lol. See how she gets on

Try just flying her from the glove, lamping of course being the best example, flying from the trees a lot does tend to encourage self hunting,if she is given a good reward for flying to the glove from a tree, is there any wonder she cant wait to get back to the trees I would have thought, get her out lamping mate asap :thumbs:

• Like 1

I found recall when Lamping always instantaneous, in fact the bird was often on the way back before I even raised a glove, as it should be, because there is no other distractions, does that transcend to daytime hunting? I couldn't say, because I'd always established good recall before lamping....

I nearly always flew in woodland, so good recall from trees was essential & I never had a problem, I must say though, the gos was always more instant, because he was flown solely from the fist. I think if you regularly hunt from trees with a Harris, as I did, you may have to make a little compromise & I think that's when the lure can be invaluable.....

• Like 1

I always think they are like a different bird at night, as said no distractions, and I always wonder, does the bird feel just that little bit insecure at night, and cant wait to get back to the sanctuary of the glove, and its partner I.E you the falconer, its early days mate, but I reckon she will end up being a good bird, I know you will put the time in pal thats for sure :thumbs:

I wouldn't lamp her myself.

Why is that mate?

I'm not a big fan of lamping myself, but that's just a personal preference, I can't think of any negative effect it may have....

I'd be interested to know your opinion though....

I don't dislike lampung but he has a bird that is not responding they way he like and messing about in daylight it will be harder to control her at night as this bird is highly strung and risking her taking a dislike to flying her at night I think could be very damaging to her,I wouldn't want to make her go back any more further than she is,

I don't dislike lampung but he has a bird that is not responding they way he like and messing about in daylight it will be harder to control her at night as this bird is highly strung and risking her taking a dislike to flying her at night I think could be very damaging to her,I wouldn't want to make her go back any more further than she is,

Fair enough, I've always looked at lamping as quite separate from daytime flying, so maybe I would assume it wouldn't have an effect either way on her daytime performance....

But my lamping was fairly minimal, so I couldn't draw any definite conclusions really....

Your right mate she's testing me big time aha. I'm going back to basics, flying her short distances for big rewards and building her confidence back up. I know I don't have to worry about her chasing because she wants anything that moves. Slow and steady

• Like 2