Stamina

because before the salukis came lads could walk the land all day to get plenty of runs now as it needs to be done in a reasonably short time scale the hybrids have changed . Model T fords could get you from A to B but not as quick as an Evo does now, times have moved on. atb

Tiss true, i walked the land every day, no mobile phones or helicopters to worry about but Sal blood was for weekend coursers not land men.

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"cardio vascular competence can be increased but heart size unless illness is involved remains the same."   The heart is one of three types of muscle (cardiac, smooth and striated) and like all mus

This is my take on it...   Biologically and scientifically stamina is genetic.   However the amount of people who run unfit dogs and then say the dog lacks stamina is beggars belief.   I would p

Of course you can develop stamina but you ain't going to turn a Whippet into a Saluki no matter how fit you get it.

I've never ran a dog to stand still don't see the piont I'll get 3 hours out of any dogs that's enough, this is all lamping but once there fit and get a few quick breaks they go full speed start to finish. That's the average of more than one dog and it all depends on your quarry! The best dogs I've seen for wind are deerhound X's! Never owned a saluki but seen em goin and the few deerhound X's I've seen were that far behind! Fitness is want it all boils down to really, hate seeing lads trailing dogs that aren't fit and say there useless after one run and the dog dragging it's 2 back legs up the field!

No one should run a poorly conditioned dog we can agree on that, T..he greyhound and saluki are different styles of running one is explosive and one is prolonged ,cardio vascular competence can be increased but heart size unless illness is involved remains the same.The muscle of greyhounds and salukis is also different the greyhound being ball muscle for immediate speed and power where as the saluki is elongated muscle for build up of power and endurance , its evident in lots of athletes the sprinters are well muscled and powerfully built where most distance runners tend to be lean.

• Like 2

buster before salukis came on the scene many years ago lota lads ran 2 dogs at 1 hare and when them 2 dogs started fading because of a lack of stamina they would slip in a fresh dog on the hare and when that faded anorther fresh dog was slipped hopefully nowadays that doesn't happen much anymore means more hares survive and that's good for us atvb

"cardio vascular competence can be increased but heart size unless illness is involved remains the same."

The heart is one of three types of muscle (cardiac, smooth and striated) and like all muscle will adapt to a training load by getting larger and stronger

No matter how much training you ( or you dogs) do you will not achieve the same performance as someone who is genetically gifted, or in the case of dogs, been selected and bred for thousands of years for, amongst other things ,endurance.

• Like 6

buster before salukis came on the scene many years ago lota lads ran 2 dogs at 1 hare and when them 2 dogs started fading because of a lack of stamina they would slip in a fresh dog on the hare and when that faded anorther fresh dog was slipped hopefully nowadays that doesn't happen much anymore means more hares survive and that's good for us atvb

The good dog men i knew didnt do that mate, they didnt have too, hard work made both man and dog fit, but iam sure some did, it doesnt happen these days brenna they throw them out of a 4x4 instead, LOL.

"cardio vascular competence can be increased but heart size unless illness is involved remains the same."

The heart is one of three types of muscle (cardiac, smooth and striated) and like all muscle will adapt to a training load by getting larger and stronger

No matter how much training you ( or you dogs) do you will not achieve the same performance as someone who is genetically gifted, or in the case of dogs, been selected and bred for thousands of years for, amongst other things ,endurance.

dont bother mate lol your flogging a dead horse on here :yes:

• Like 1

The heart will thicken the walls of the left ventricular to pump more blood with exercise such as running and in humans things like cycling and weight lifting but once the activity is left for prolonged periods after retirement for instance as with all muscle tissue the heart will also loose some of its mass. a saluki has a naturally larger heart then a greyhound and will retain a larger heart all its life.

Yes it does but only as long as physical activity is continued. A enlarged heart without physical activity usually signifies illness so the expansion of the heart mass due to exercise is dependant on the exercise continuing , The point I was emphasising was that a saluki has a naturally larger heart may be the way I phrased the point on cardio vascular performance was incorrect

Yep, no worries, thats what sites are for, discussion. As I stated and agreed a dog that has been bred and selected for endurance will have a larger CV system than one that has been selected for sprinting. But whatever the size it will increase with regular, progressive exercise. It will, of course decrease with lack of exercise(it takes approximately three weeks to show any adaptation and three days of rest to start loosing it)

Fair point but a well developed heart or left ventricle for pumping blood is just the start. With training an increase in capillary beds in the muscles will allow greater oxygen into the muscles and stamina will increase. But there is no doubt selective breeding and genetics play a hue role in stamina hence saluki being used for stamina I suppose. The point I was making is given the right training a greyhound for example could develop decent stamina even if breed as a sprinting dog. An example, back when my old man raced greyhounds rightly or wrongly his dogs were also worked and coursed when it was legal. All these dogs were sprinters but given the work they did they developed stamina well and invariably ended up eing stating dogs on the track. I aren't comparing 800 yards to coursing but some people seem to thing a greyhound is a one trick sprinter and used solely for pace, which isn't really fair on the breed as a whole. Good thread.