Question On Making Purse Nets

Jax13

been watching a few tutorial videos on purse net making and i've got the theory sorted - just need to get kitted up with what i need to make them.

i have a small question though, which i may have answered myself.

if you go for rows of (for example) 8,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,14,14,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,8 what benefit would this have over just doing (for example) 12 or 14 knots square?

is there a benefit to the net being slightly more diamond shaped or is it just the most economical (and quicker) way of making a net that is just as functional?

as a further quesion, if i were to come across a large sheet of 2 to 3 inch square holed netting, is there anything to stop me cutting to size, tying rings on and running a drawcord through them?

With shaped nets your saving a bit of twine suppose it comes down to cost ?>

I weigh my purse nets when I've finished them before putting the rings on, a 4'8" shaped net in spun poly weighs slightly less than 40gms, so I load my needle with 40gms

Gnippers point above regarding 15 meshes on a ring, I put 9 meshes on a and doubled each mesh to give the 2nd row 18 meshes and straight through reducing back to 9 to finish off, these were also 4'8" finished length and weighed 58gms so by my a 500gms spool will give you 12 shaped nets or 8 straight nets. The choice is your preference

Y.I.S Leeview

I like to shape my nets but not right out to the middle. That way I don't have loads of twine on the ring where its not doing anything useful but I still have loads of bagging on the main body of the net where it counts.

I go 10 12 14 16 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 18 16 14 12 10.

• Like 2