A Bushing Border Terrier ??

Benny684

I have had borders a good while now,make sure you break your border to ferrets,if you don't that,ll be the end of ferreting,mine were ok, not now.as for going to ground, when they start you won't stop them,and they don't worry about what the quarry is, borders can be very single minded and they like to play deaf, good luck with your little dog, they are very versatile , and quick to learn, I have trouble keeping mine above ground.

Ive owned numerous bred terrier types and the majority of them bushed and ratched about to a decent standard,yet for me the Bedlington and the Hybrid types certainly have an edge on others ive owned or seen,they can cover the ground and obstacles quicker than most,i used to get fed up of waiting for some terriers that struggled over high walls,Beddy,s don't.They take to water well and are excellent working around waterways,their speed and agility is useful when ratting and around nets.Mine have an excellent voice,useful in cover when in pursuit and more useful below when working fox.Possibly everything ive covered others will see in their chosen type,yet for me the Bedlington as an edge.The biggest problem is sourcing Bedlington,s and hybrids of the correct type,the majority of Bedlingtons bred now are dross,they will work to a certain standard that some are happy with,yet would be useless in a more determined kennel.If I wanted a dog for bushing,firstly id source a terrier,any terrier bred from honest stock,id not be to hung up on its breeding,if I wished to be more selective id source a Beddy.

• Like 1

The problem for anyone who has not had a lot of experience is that they see a particular breed and are attracted to it. Most people go firstly for dogs they like the look of, then wonder if it has the qualities they want. I'm lucky in that I was introduced to terriers by someone who worked them almost in the way that I wanted to, and although my first terriers were Lakies, I soon realised that I wanted something a bit more 'houndy' in temperament, not so likely to get into fights or end up smashed to bits below ground. It took a few years for me to drop on the line I have now, and although I probably wouldn't have looked twice at them as a type before I knew how they operated, I now wouldn't touch anything else. If I'd been hung up on type or breed I certainly wouldn't have had the mongrelly things I now really enjoy.

• Like 2

post-75674-0-44854300-1412102994_thumb.jpgmy border bitch is 10 now and has done everything ive ever wanted , shes a bit slower and steadier than other terriers ive had shes bolted a few foxes from cover but never been encouraged to ive shot over her took her beating , ferreting and general mooching , her temprement is 2nd to none and probably the best wee dog ive ever had

• Like 2

I had border years ago he was a good bushing dog . Borders seem to be a lot slower to get going I now have a border x jackrussell and is working well .

dont know if it is all of them but i had a border bitch a few years ago i got her at 6 months old, and she always went out with my patterdale x russel which was a really good worker, and it was about 2 years old before the border new what she was supposed to be doing, but when she clicked on she was mint

zeeee burgerrrr.jpgmy border bitch is 10 now and has done everything ive ever wanted , shes a bit slower and steadier than other terriers ive had shes bolted a few foxes from cover but never been encouraged to ive shot over her took her beating , ferreting and general mooching , her temprement is 2nd to none and probably the best wee dog ive ever had

My old border sounded exactly the same as yours. I'd still keep borders now too if they weren't so expensive.
  • Like 1