Your Best Ever Working Ferret ?

Guest vin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,..I am only a part timer these days,..but when I was at the rabbits day and night,..the ferrets were an incredable earner for me. I think anyone who does a fair bit of rabbit work (or is mad keen

Alway's thought i was fortunate having a few ferrets that when i got kits off of lads i could enter them slow at there own pace never rushing them and i dont reckon ive one that failed yet and getti

Should of gave me a shout vin Took ferrets down to the midlands for Alfie and old blue eyes , Even dropped of one for S Caple i plan to dominate the English ferrets with Scottish blood

It's all about finding the best stock you can and keeping it that way , the rest is all about enjoying your days to the max , wether that's 6 rabbits or 46 matters not a jot , good stock no point being sentimentle if a ferret can't do the job on its own . It should be gone ,

• Like 2

I think it was the season before last when we had all the floods? I was ferreting a hill, first warren I bolted a couple then all goes quiet I locate the ferret at 3ft, dig down and find my hob on a rabbit both of them in water, pull the rabbit out and a few minutes later same thing again, don't think you can ask much more out of a ferret than going into water and sticking to a rabbit until dug to. I also have a jill that has been killing rabbits since her first session, not a big fan of jills but she restored my faith a little bit. They both bolt plenty as well of course. I bred a litter out of these 2 this year and Ive kept back 2 hobs cant wait to try them.

It's nice when they start working properly.... I had 2Jill's what were good and reliable ..if I put them down and they were strate back up ... It was time to move to The next set.... But if they stayed down it was just a matter of time before the first net would stretch ... And the ferret not far behind it ...you grabe hold of the rabbit in the net...ferret look at you and strate back down for some more... The thing I hate is when they keep fecking about on top... In one hole out the other ....them sort end up as back fill...atb

Edited by look up

Every one gets there fair share of bad ferrets,,,,,,,,,,,,but a lot of people start ferrets to young and get them kicked to dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,the brilliant ferrets will come,,,,,,,,,, peoples opinion on what a brilliant ferret does differs,,,,,,,,, but the young ferret that goes to the neck first to spilt the neck while the others are eating away thats the one i pick and more than not turn out millers,,,,,,,,,but if you live for your ferreting and showing the crack by some old timers you know what you want,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to many people breeding dirt ferrets because they think if not bred the jill will die,,,,what a load of shit,,,,,,, years ago be only a loud to keep jills at home never bred from them they lived till 10 or 11,,,,,,,I hate the saying great at bolting rabbits,,,,I much prefer bolt if the ferret doesn't get rabbit first,,,,,,,,any good ferret will kill plenty of rabbits and be dug to with rabbits every time ur out,,,,,,but the deadly ones will shock you with what they do,,,,,often dug to ferret in water with rabbit,,,,,,,,,,,the right ones never take there nose off the ground like bloodhounds,,,,,,,,dig to them few times in same burrow,,,,,,,,,ferrets be a race to get to longnet before they do on him bullet quick,,,,,,,,,I had 10 times more dirt than brilliant ferrets,,,,,,,,bred best to best and more often got just average just the odd freak of nature....................When you know what a brilliant ferret is,,,,,,,,,,,, you will never have bad ones,,,,second season around christmas if there not flying there gone,,,,,,,,,,to be pet,,,,,,,,,,,,haven't the heart to kill them................

• Like 1

Every one gets there fair share of bad ferrets,,,,,,,,,,,,but a lot of people start ferrets to young and get them kicked to dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,the brilliant ferrets will come,,,,,,,,,, peoples opinion on what a brilliant ferret does differs,,,,,,,,, but the young ferret that goes to the neck first to spilt the neck while the others are eating away thats the one i pick and more than not turn out millers,,,,,,,,,but if you live for your ferreting and showing the crack by some old timers you know what you want,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to many people breeding dirt ferrets because they think if not bred the jill will die,,,,what a load of shit,,,,,,, years ago be only a loud to keep jills at home never bred from them they lived till 10 or 11,,,,,,,I hate the saying great at bolting rabbits,,,,I much prefer bolt if the ferret doesn't get rabbit first,,,,,,,,any good ferret will kill plenty of rabbits and be dug to with rabbits every time ur out,,,,,,but the deadly ones will shock you with what they do,,,,,often dug to ferret in water with rabbit,,,,,,,,,,,the right ones never take there nose off the ground like bloodhounds,,,,,,,,dig to them few times in same burrow,,,,,,,,,ferrets be a race to get to longnet before they do on him bullet quick,,,,,,,,,I had 10 times more dirt than brilliant ferrets,,,,,,,,bred best to best and more often got just average just the odd freak of nature....................When you know what a brilliant ferret is,,,,,,,,,,,, you will never have bad ones,,,,second season around christmas if there not flying there gone,,,,,,,,,,to be pet,,,,,,,,,,,,haven't the heart to kill them................

I couldn't kill them either, I bred a litter this year and was debating culling the kits I didn't need for my own team but couldn't do it. I suppose the working genes would be improved if we all culled non workers but not something I could do.

• Like 1

Had albino hobs in the past that were very good workers and cleared everything in the burrows but the silver i have now does it a lot quicker. His first year i saw him catch full grown rabbits on 2 occasions as they had just cleared the burrows and were in mid bolt. Almost every rabbit hes bolted has had its arse nipped. You can tell theirs rabbits in the burrow as he literally hits the ground running and off down the hole. Only see him again when a rabbit bolts or when the burrows empty. Hes a big fluffy cat killer type lol. His brother from the same litter, putting it mildly was crap and had no killer instinct but still bolted the odd bunny. He went to guy who had hawks as i had to make space for decent workers. The 2 jills i have now are good workers and one is particularly hard on rabbits but doesnt work to the same pace as the hob. Also the hob i work lets go of the rabbit once he knows iv got a hold of it. No prying him off which is good but thats only last season he started doing that. Very clever animal. I bred him with my best jill and have a live wire of a jill kit out of him which i think will do really well when she starts. Kept a albino jill back from the litter too. When i choose a kit i pick the one with the sneakiest eyes or the one thats biting the most. Worked for me so far. When moving surplus kits on i just give them away to good homes may it be pet or working homes. As long as they will get a proper diet of meat and looked after. I wont cull them unless theres something seriously wrong with them. I dont be in a rush too get rid of them either.

when i was young all ferrets worked , if they were not good enough they were knocked on the head , , jills were worked loose and hobs were used on a line , the true test of a ferret was how good the liner worked and how well the man read the line , a good liner was worth its weight in gold and the man who knew its ways was worth a bit more,

Been a barstool of a fortnight lost a eight year old bew Jill the a seven year old albino Jill and too finish it up the spanniels got glue ear again , but I got two Jill kits I from Dogger and going slowly ,slowly I'm sure they will make the grade , still down to ten ferrets the lowest amount I've had for a few years