Your Best Ever Working Ferret ?

Guest vin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,..I am only a part timer these days,..but when I was at the rabbits day and night,..the ferrets were an incredable earner for me. I think anyone who does a fair bit of rabbit work (or is mad keen

Alway's thought i was fortunate having a few ferrets that when i got kits off of lads i could enter them slow at there own pace never rushing them and i dont reckon ive one that failed yet and getti

Should of gave me a shout vin Took ferrets down to the midlands for Alfie and old blue eyes , Even dropped of one for S Caple i plan to dominate the English ferrets with Scottish blood

Out of 25-30 ferrets ive had over the last few seasons, I reckon i've had 4/5 belters. This year i've bred from 2 of them, so hopefully I'm onto a winner for the next few seasons. Vin, I remember you were short on ferts a year ot two ago, how are you doing for them atm?

Last season was the worse for losses.. I lost 2 very very good working jills..One to a roaming dog from another farm and 1 to a warren collapse.

Since that point I have never caught up yet. i was loaned an old Jill to help bring my younger stock on..but sadly the only 2 I kept was 2 hobs.The rest didn't make the grade unfortunately. . i tried one jill from really good stock for 2 season and she never impressed me once.

So this season myself and Tomo have taken a hob and gill kit from 4 different litters and we are trying them out over the season..we have split them between us and If all goes to plan we might have some good little grafters by this time next year..lol. We will keep the best and rehome the rest..

Fingers crossed.

Should of gave me a shout vin Took ferrets down to the midlands for Alfie and old blue eyes , Even dropped of one for S Caple i plan to dominate the English ferrets with Scottish blood :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 3

Should of gave me a shout vin Took ferrets down to the midlands for Alfie and old blue eyes , Even dropped of one for S Caple i plan to dominate the English ferrets with Scottish blood :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't know you had any going spare mate.

had a realy good hob ferret stood out from the rest never lay up wouldt go down if nothing in a good ferret left my cage open once loss him

i was gutted even when i lent him out people use to say what a good ferret :thumbs:

About 20 years ago, I had one that was decent. A polecat coloured hob, smallish but strong, and being a youngen I always had him out, he was fit. He wouldnt waste your time, and he didnt mess about, never a lay up. I also lost him like you did, and believe it or not, having kept ferrets for the next 20 years I never got one to better that hob. Though had some nice workers. He was mad tame, I used to walk him up the lane with the dogs, and I used to whistle him up the hedgerows working each warren at a time, I hardly had to pick him up.

Bred some ok workers out of him, including the polecat hob 'golden ferret' nick-named by Alimac (thl) because of the rediculous ammount of money I spent on him at the vets once hahaha youth was fun!

• Like 1

When some of you chaps say.... "It was a good un the best i ever had,It never laid up" ..Do you mean never went to sleep down the warren ?

I must admit I hear this a lot when people are describing their workers, For some reason if the ferret comes out after a few bolts they think that's it and the ferret has evacuated the warren... they say it never lays up.. . If this is the case it could well be shifting the spooked rabbits but also leaving blocked up bunnies below ground and moving on to the next.

Depends what your after I suppose vin I had a ferret given to me when I was younger a big albino hob this thing was a killer the feller I got him off used him like an old liner ferret but with a mk1 collar on instead. Whilst he was working a warren I'd follow him with the locater and if he stopped for more than a few seconds I'd mark it with a stick if not too deep and dig down to a dead rabbit. If it was alive he'd stay allday this was eventually his undoing as a lad I was out with put him to ground uncollared. Set traps and visited the site as much as I could for a fortnight and never got him back.

Nowadays most of my ferreting is bolting to dogs out of the local sandy warrens so I like a ferret that will bolt what it can and leave rabbits in stops for another day as I'm not out for pest control just out for abit of daytime sport and the less digging in that sand the better. Though when I am out helping friends with pest control I do admire those ferrets that stick with rabbits even in deep water or awkward spots. Atb

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We where out today and had a kit and 7 older jills and we put the kit down every burrow trying to give her a chance and see what she could do , and i was disappointed she wasn't making much of a effort and wouldn't touch the dead rabbits so we stopped and played with her and teased her with a dead rabbit , at the next burrow a rabbit slipped my net and went into the next burrow i netted it up and just put the kit in we had to dig her out at five foot a few more days and i reckon she will be okay christ knows what happened she just clicked

• 9 months later...