.22Lr For Foxing ?

Whatever bullet type/speed/energy, it is a guide and needs looking at far deeper to find your most suitable ammunition.

As a generalisation, a fast/heavy/solid bullet may have a lot of energy on paper, and is likely to penetrate (over penetrate/go clean through) many animals, thus causing a relatively small bullet tract and wasting lots of energy. A less powerful hollow point is likely to expand more, make a bigger hole/do more damage and impart most if not all its energy into your quarry, (stay in).

Factory energy figures in isolation are not that important, you need to look at terminal ballistics.

I use rimfires a lot for foxes, but that is due to situation and circumstances and they work where they are my tool of choice. Many people will advocate a small centrefire, and a Hornet may well have uses for a lot of people.

I believe the law is a bit different in your part of the country, but here you ask for what you can justify, if that is a large centrefire on first grant then so be it!

Edited by Deker

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dedicated foxing you need a CF rifle mate. Sure hmr and .22lr will do the job in the right situation but is never my go to calibre.

:hmm:   Of course you do, but there are plenty of times the fox IS close.   I never understand these comments, do we always say, for example.... a .243 is suitable for a deer, as long as it isn

Marginal for the average shooter is the best answer which is why it's no longer good reason in the UK.   Yes it will kill them quite easily if bullet placement is good. However, get it a bit off the

Good reading Deker, the law over here has changed big style in the past decade or more, plenty young lads running bout with .223s .22/250s (I know a few lads with .308s for deer) theres hardly a fox about that isn't lamp shy :hmm: lol. My mate and I used to lamp using the shotgun but jesus those days are almost gone now.

.22lr should not be your first choice for foxes, even though it will kill them stone dead if you are experienced and have enough self control to only take shots at acceptable ranges.

I have .22lr and .22 Hornet at the moment but I think if I were starting again with only one rifle I'd go for a .17 Hornet. If you look up Youtube for some ballistic test you'll see the tremendous damage that tiny round makes. Of course, you'd be restricted to head shots on rabbits plus it's about 70p+ per shot. It's also no noisier than high velocity lr's and with virtually no ricochet risk.

I'm sorry but I think you need to change your profile name. Asking silly little questions like that. First of all do you have any firearms? if yes Then you must have done your compactly training. Then you will know that a 22lr is not suitable for foxes. You need to go to the Garda web site and have a look at the commissioners guide lines on what firearm would be suitable for what purpose.

• Like 1

The law states her that a CF of

220 or .223 should only be used for fox control

So a shooter telling a lad that its OK to shoot charlie

With a .22 is irresponsible. Like I said if the chap goes

to the Garda web site then he will be guided in the right

direction.

I know stuff is different over there but is the centrefire malarkey LAW or a GUIDE?

Are you saying a pest controller leaning out of a terrace house window shooting a fox in a pocket handkerchief back garden legally has to use a minimum of a .220 CF?

Id really recomend something of a higher calibre for foxing, maybe .222 or .223. Although .17HMR is capible of doing it. You would require a shorter distance. And the firearms officer may not grant or add the variation to your licence if he think your going to try to hunt foxes with a .22lr.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Of course you do, but there are plenty of times the fox IS close.

I never understand these comments, do we always say, for example.... a .243 is suitable for a deer, as long as it isn't more than a few hundred yards away? Just what is the difference?

You use any calibre/ammo within its capabilities, and there are plenty of times a rimfire is enough/more than enough, for fox!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Id really recomend something of a higher calibre for foxing, maybe .222 or .223. Although .17HMR is capible of doing it. You would require a shorter distance. And the firearms officer may not grant or add the variation to your licence if he think your going to try to hunt foxes with a .22lr.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Of course you do, but there are plenty of times the fox IS close.

I never understand these comments, do we always say, for example.... a .243 is suitable for a deer, as long as it isn't more than a few hundred yards away? Just what is the difference?

You use any calibre/ammo within its capabilities, and there are plenty of times a rimfire is enough/more than enough, for fox!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

:victory::boogy: Well said Deker

yes there are better more suitable calibres for sure,but the fact remains that a 22lr is easily powerful enough for killing foxes (i took 3 the other night with my CZ452) i know the opinions differ from country to country and from county to county in England even,i live in Devon and have it on my ticket that its ok to use.I use winchester subs at 40g and 42g for foxes.There are rules for the police to follow reguarding this (page 104-108,especially 108) https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/329845/GuideFirearmsLicensingLawJune14.pdf