.22Lr For Foxing ?

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a .22lr for a small bit of fox shooting around the local area and some rabbits, what is the .22lr like for fox shooting ? What's the range like for a fox ? What's killing power like and what's the price range like for ammo ? This will be my first rifle so don't know much on the .22lr,

Any tips or info in the rifle would be much appreciated :)

Cheers guys atb !

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dedicated foxing you need a CF rifle mate. Sure hmr and .22lr will do the job in the right situation but is never my go to calibre.

:hmm:   Of course you do, but there are plenty of times the fox IS close.   I never understand these comments, do we always say, for example.... a .243 is suitable for a deer, as long as it isn

Marginal for the average shooter is the best answer which is why it's no longer good reason in the UK.   Yes it will kill them quite easily if bullet placement is good. However, get it a bit off the

Re-reading your post. I recommend more research before you put in for ticket otherwise FEO may deem you unsuitable if you don't know enough

.22lr good on bunnies up to 100 yes if your good enough on holdover, in fact further but you need to know range exactly as drop is a lot that far out

HMR flat out to 150 yds and ok for fixing too

.22lr with subsonic ammo and a mod is near silent (u need to apply for mod too)

HMR is noisy as supersonic

Ring the firearms office and and ask them if Hmr is allowed for fox as some forces put their own spin on the law or ask if the force issusus AOLQ on the licence as this condition means Any Other Lawful Quarry which will cover you for fox but as stated by others 22 50yard headshot only 17hmr you can push to 100yards headshot only as my officer said that's what they recommend if you had to use the rimfire

Hi Fox assassin, an LR with correct ammo will take foxy out but your maximum range is going to be limited to 70/80 yards, the magnum will give you more but nothing like a centre fire, a .22 hornet would be a much better choice, should be easier to get on your FAC than say .222 .223 or 22/250 good luck