Remington 700

Personally i wouldn't buy a Remington as the quality isn't there. My mate bought the top of the range one, he changed the stock and the trigger, he could have bought a sako with the same money. The recoil lug is located on the barrel and if it is out of line slightly (as most are) then they dont sit in the stock squarely. I would look for a s/h Tikka but at the end of the day it's your money your choice.

• Like 1

Get yourself a CZ 527 mate, the build quality is better, and you wont have to spend a fortune on aftermarket bits to upgrade it like you will with a Remington, I would be cautious about buying a used .22-250 unless I was sure of its history and I trusted the seller, you would be much better buying a new one, if your funds can stretch to it, the Zastava that Shropshire Dan has are very good rifles, and not expensive new, and in common with the CZ are built on a mini Mauser action.

When looking at buying a new rifle (.223) I looked at the cz527, a bolt, x bolt, remmy 700, and the tikka t3. The Remington felt crap, like the stock had just been made from the bumper of an old van, and I think it cost more than the a bolt and cz, The xbolt and tikka was by far the best, followed by the cz.... IMO

• 2 months later...

As above be cautious buying this caliber second hand. 22-250 is a barrel burner and remember the guy 'checking the barrel' for you is the same guy who has it gathering dust on his gun rack.

Remington 700 are in general pretty agricultural but largely reliable & accurate rifle. They are the landrover of the gun world with plenty of ways to customise them. I don't like the fact that the safety catch doesn't lock down the bolt and floor plate magazines are standard. I've had a varmint and vssf, both cut down, both in different stocks and both with different triggers and detachable magazines. They do the job but for the money I eventually spent I could have got something better.

There is good and bad, and Monday and Friday guns in all makes.

Many people buy a Remington (commonly the 700) to customise it anyway, so they throw lots of it away, as do many Ruger 10/22 owners.

I was bombarded with warnings of doom and gloom when I bought my 700SPS Stainless in 308, I already had 2 x Tikkas and was told the quality wasn't a patch on them.

Not true in my case, (mine is out of the box with simply about 3" barrel chop and threaded) and even though I have just been through the painful process of trigger recall on my Remington (even though there was nothing wrong with mine) I would have no problem buying another.

One thing I don't like, and which is common to most Remington is the floor plate, give me a magazine any day, but that is simply personal preference and not a fault of the rifle.

• Like 1