Metal Detecting Finds...

It's good exercise and Craic but if you go into it thinking Youl get rich you prob have more chance winning the lottery

It's frustrating digging holes everywhere and finding bottle / can tops and ringpuls lol

Shot from shotguns gives a good signal as does coke. ( the coal variety )

Larger cans

Bits of metal worth fook all

Interference from phone lines

Your mobile lol

And don't go detecting in Hob nail or steel toe cap boots lol

The hardest part is like hunting

Obtaining permission.

Then there is rules and regs re finds

Make sure you know your stuff

There's some well known fort ruins not far from me, Roman, but the site goes way further back they reckon? It draws lads with metal detectors, every inch of the fort must have been done, they find nothing so try the fields nearby, i keep telling them its been opencast for coal but they don't believe me most of the time, they must just think im trying to put them off :laugh: I've always fancied a go at it though, sounds interesting :thumbs:

google the Staffordshire hoard the farmer told the guy when he asked for permission too go ahead but he was wasting his time it had been done over and over but the guy finds a hoard of Anglo Saxon gold I think it was worth five and a half million

im near newport s wales and the roman remains there are unbelibable, the best in britain ! i detected not half a mile from there, i found the normal crap, but i did also find a pick, i thought was a normal 6o-7o year old pick, took it to the scrap yard a couple months later with a few other items, then found out it was a roman axe thing, which the exact pictures are in either this months or last months metal detecting magazine, gutted to say the least ! i wont make that mistake again, if ever i find something im not too sure about. ill look it up properly. ,,,iv found loads,heaps on heaps of crap though, somtimes i find myself digging 1o-15 rubbish targets to 1 good one, which is very frustating, now after doing alot of home work i try to find area's that either the romans,saxons,wars-battles ect, or the wealthy has been on or near,and try and gain permission, theres a few other ways aswel , old maps,library, reasearch ect , ill always have a passion for hunting but metal detecting is defenetly a passion too, i know its not a get rich quick thing, i havent gone into it thinking like that........but you never know what your going to find next,thats the exiting part !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my first day out I had 20 digs found feck all so throw the fecking thing in headge bottom , when my mate came to see if I found out I told him its sh,it this detecting lark, why he said i will fecking

a cannonball lol. dunno how old this is ..wouldnt like to have been hit up the gub with it.

i havent been into it that long myself, but look at old maps maybe tyth maps and ordenance survey maps plus google-road-satalite ect... and look for old manors/mansions then compare them to maps nowa

Posted Images

Mate of mines's been doing it for years. He's found loads of the basic stuff, bullets, coins, shoe buckles etc but a few of the coins he's had he has sold for about £200.

He got one last Saturday, a Henry V111 coin in really good nick that he reckons is worth between 8 and 1200 quid. :toast:

Cheers, D.

Any lads get on any of the club digs , i sometimes go on the coil to the soil digs , also a member of Donny dirt diggers :thumbs:

A

Went through a village near me last week, saw probably 50+, on the village green, in gardens & fields around the outskirts.. Guess this would be a club meet/dig.? How do such events come about ?

Edited by Alimac2
  • Like 1

found 3 silver hammered 1600 ish, half a bucket of pre decimal coppers (upto 250 years old plus) handful of pre decimal silver, 13 century skillet handle, buckets full of musket and mini balls.

once had a handful of coins from 1700ish, silver and copper all wrapped up in a red checked hanky, funnily enough you could just about see the red check in the old frayed hanky! i'll get a pic when I get a min.

just got permission to look over a field next to one of the oldest pubs in england, if I dont find anything there i'm giving up and selling the detector......iv had a few nice finds but worth feck all and iv put some SERIOUS HOURS IN!

found 3 silver hammered 1600 ish, half a bucket of pre decimal coppers (upto 250 years old plus) handful of pre decimal silver, 13 century skillet handle, buckets full of musket and mini balls.

once had a handful of coins from 1700ish, silver and copper all wrapped up in a red checked hanky, funnily enough you could just about see the red check in the old frayed hanky! i'll get a pic when I get a min.

just got permission to look over a field next to one of the oldest pubs in england, if I dont find anything there i'm giving up and selling the detector......iv had a few nice finds but worth feck all and iv put some SERIOUS HOURS IN!

i know what you mean, iv met a few people saying exactly the same, iv put god knows how many hours in,and not found what i was atleast expecting, maybe its been hit before or im in the wrong area, but unless you do your reasearch properly, your just shoveling dirt about !