Unwilling Dog

Try a bit of ferreting with her, means you can build her confidance up without her having to run anything.

thats what I was thinking,get her some easy catches for a bit,put some fur in her mouth without her feeling in danger of getting hurt,i reckon once shes had a few successes she'll either be more determined from the catches or you will see immediately if shes still lack lustre,then she has made her own decision on the matter.

Did you mean from your first post that she has struggled to learn anything new since the injury? Has there been any other changes in her mentality? Changes in personality/temperament?

She has become even more laid back than she ever was and will not pick up anything new. She was coming along ok-ish before.

I think a day out with the ferrets could be a good idea, although she wont go near a rabbit skin for fun when trying to teach her to re-retrieve. Still, at this point its got to be worth a go.

A bad injury can have a lasting effect on an animal psychologically, even if the physical damage has healed. If the dog did not have a high drive in the first place, or is an extremely sensitive creature generally, the accident could affect how she feels about everything in life. From what you are saying it does sound as though she wasn't a very driven dog to begin with: reading between the lines, and apologies if I'm mistaken.

Just like some people could be put off doing something for life if they've had a bad experience, some dogs just won't get over the trauma for the rest of their lives. I guess it all depends on the individual. I've had dogs that shrugged off horrible injuries as they only lived to hunt and kill. Others can be put off by the slightest thing: too many failures as a youngster, an injury which they may associate with simply being out on exercise, but whose effect can change their whole attitude to running fast.

Fear of anything unknown can also be a result of an injury: put yourself in the dog's head ... one minute she's running along happily, the next she is in terrible pain and very shocked, but she can't understand the cause. Whereas we, as humans, can rationalise an incident, a dog just can't do that. A bit like some dogs running into an electric fence: can't understand what is happening. That can ruin some dogs for life. Others will just go a bit cautious for a while, while others permanently refuse to enter that field again, and others shrug it off and carry on as normal: all different.

A bad injury can have a lasting effect on an animal psychologically, even if the physical damage has healed. If the dog did not have a high drive in the first place, or is an extremely sensitive creature generally, the accident could affect how she feels about everything in life. From what you are saying it does sound as though she wasn't a very driven dog to begin with: reading between the lines, and apologies if I'm mistaken.

Hi Skycat, you have read between the lines perfectly. She never seemed to have that drive that most hunting dogs have, at the time I put it down to immaturity and thought she would develop. She has definitely become very sensitive and timid in all areas of life, preferring to take a back seat and accept the leftovers. The more I persevere with her, no matter if I am gentle or stern there is no difference. In fact it feels as though she is really unhappy and miserable because of it. I feel as though I am torturing her by carrying on, I think it is probably time to just enjoy her for the gentle dog and enjoy our trail running time together instead of continuing to beat her with a stick (not literally).

Her mother who is a 1st X Beardie/Grey is a machine on all quarry and continues to do her job later in to her life. The father was a Whippet but again was very game and an excellent pot filler. This is the reason I thought she would be ideal for me but I guess you never know.

Thanks for the advice, it has pretty much made up my mind to let her be.

Pat

Just read your original post again, and the fact that she may not have been brought up in an ideal situation may also have had a part to play in how the accident affected her. If she hadn't been exposed to game in the correct way before you got her, or, given her sensitive nature, been inadvertently been put off chasing, then combine this with the accident ... well, there's so much that she hasn't had go right for her. Like you say, let her enjoy what she does enjoy, but who knows, give her another year to mature and forget, and she may still surprise you.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone who contributed, it is much appreciated. That is why this forum is so useful, the wealth and depth of knowledge out there is astounding. I now have firm ideas about the next steps or lack of them. lol

Thanks again

Pat