Border/lakeland...?

Just something I was thinking about whilst walking the dogs this morning...

In my youth, there was a distinct 'type' of working terrier called a Border/Lakeland, though rarely did it ever seem to be a direct cross of the two breeds, it was a distinct type and easily recognisable.

These days we read about lines, his line, that line, this line but little is said about what once was a 'common type'.

Does anyone still call the type they have Border/Lakeland...??

:thumbs:

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some border lakeland types with varying degrees of border blood all related

He’s got a bit of border in him I think,farm bred Wales,just knock about with me and do as they please?

Took pup for a pint  nearly five month , and already needs to be  on a lead round holes... very forward bitch pain in the arse but clever 

Posted Images

I remember the name "border lakeland" being in common use and IMO it was a mans way of saying his terriers were workers. In other other words he wanted to distance himself from the show posers.

Border Lakelands were nearly always red or black and tan and stocky or cobby in build with a coat like a Brillo Pad.

I can remember some very, very good workers of the type.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 7

The border lakeland i had looked like a yorkie :laugh: but her coat was the worst ive ever seen on a terrier , it parted in the centre

Work wise she was a lttle demon , wouldnt settle in the kennel always wanting to be on the go and yapping all the time

• Like 1

I've got one and my uncle has a one from a litter I bred a few years back the dad was a red Lakeland Middleton bred and mum was my border bitch . They are both Black and Tan withe more the border head and build But both the dog and bith we kept bak are really off there head game on anything and will work all day . Not the best to look at but work as good good as any other x I've seen . Atb

I remember the name "border lakeland" being in common use and IMO it was a mans way of saying his terriers were workers. In other other words he wanted to distance himself from the show posers.

Border Lakelands were nearly always red or black and tan and stocky or cobby in build with a coat like a Brillo Pad.

Spot on Neil. :victory:

So, with that in mind who still calls the type they have Border Lakelands..?

Spot on Neil. :victory:

So, with that in mind who still calls the type they have Border Lakelands..?

I thought you had use someone's name now.....

• Like 1

they where all border lakies when i got interested in terriers. in lancashire anyway. most genuine border lakies these days would be very different. as for classes in shows. the crossbreds have been pushed out by the poorer quality show lakies.

Back in the day :whistling: Border Lakelands was the name of the type but were still usually referred to as Lakelands or Lakies.

Predominantlt black and tan but often reds as well.

Check out any of gary Middleton's stuff.

Haven't seen the fellow since the early nineties but I would hazard a guess he's still got them. :thumbs:

Old pic of an old pic :laugh:

Cheers, D.

post-10409-0-22498400-1411043151_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

An old friend of mine years ago had his own line of what he called Border Lakelands. Rough coated black and tan types.

He used to provide the badgers for a large trials every year using these terriers, between 20 or 30 he told me.

But yet on the day itself he'd bring his strongdogs and a couple of russells. The border lakelands stayed at home, they were too hard for the trials.

• Like 1

coloured working terriers, border/lakie..just names for the undiscript fell terriers... still found on farms in the lakes today. back in 70s - early 80s when smaller terriers were the norm 80%

of terriers out with the fell packs were small mongerally fell terriers not the lookers seen in books and magazines.

i can remember plenty of terriers bought as border/ lakies which with hindsight were just fells..

reds, black and tans, grizzle...in fact not with hindsight we knew it at the time.

historians tell us that the early fell terriers were old lines of the old black and tan terrier that was one of the main breeds prior to the white hunt terrier which became the fox terrier. a lot of the real old fell lines throw open coated, apple headed terriers that look as if they have a bit of yorkie in the blood .. an old fell-men told me 20 years ago that these were the true fell terriers,

he hated them, glad they bred away from them.

border/lakies came in all types, some smart with good coats , strong heads. some were puny

with average coats.

as i know it border/lakies are just fell terriers...the older, not as smart type as a rule, plus there were real border x lakeland

kev medlock crew

• Like 2