Gsp Pup Pointing

To keep my 5 month old gsp from wanting to hunt - impossible ! he "wants to hunt".

So i keep his training to the garden, and street walking. If i walk him in the fields on a lead he " so, so wants to hunt" and i have to hold him back, simple as !

He is so keen to hunt that if i`m in my town centre he would take a feral pigeon instantly, given half a chance.

As said previously getting a GSP to hunt is not the problem, the problem is holding them back.

I am presently teaching him the stop whistle and re- call, of which he is progressing well (in the garden or street walks) - walking in a field - a lot less, his prey drive kicks in and distractions are plentiful.

If i walk him in the field i put a long line on him as i dont want to restrict/ stop him from exercise but in doing so it allows him 25 ft of scenting, (is that bad ?)

any advice most welcome.

Edited by mark williams

Thank you for any advice guys,

Yes a typical walk on the long line (20 - 25 feet long line) will see him hunt eagerly.

He scents many different ground birds , Snipe, small birds amongst the grass, Partridges, Hares etc and he is pointing. I might be wrong but i feel he knows his job is done (at present) because the long line stops any further involvement.

No "crack" ! from a gun,or starter pistol just lots of praise for finding the game - he "adores" these walks.My plan at the moment (please tell us pup owners if this is wrong) is to walk the long line hunts regularly and try to get the recall and stop whistle (" cast in stone") around my garden and on street walks.Whenever i stop him to cross a road even i never say stop, sit ! I just give one sharp peep on the whistle and his stop/ sit is immediate and peep, peep , peep gives a good recall in the garden.

Again he`s just turning 6 months old, i wear L plates with my GSP, hope i`m on the right track ?

Regards,

Edited by mark williams
  • 2 weeks later...