Hares, Irish Vs Brown

I thought an Irish hare was a brown hare, same species but diff country?

Nope , irish hare are the same species as the mountain hare

No they're not bud......they're their own species. Totally different in habits than a Blue hare...at present they are classified as a sub-species of the Blue hare but i think that they will be classified as their own free-standing species soon...

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You obviously haven't ran the correct whites then . In the deep heather they are easy. It's due to the hare being handicapped by the deep heather. I dare say that a brown hare would struggle too if it

Heres one lol

Posted Images

No they're not bud......they're their own species. Totally different in habits than a Blue hare...at present they are classified as a sub-species of the Blue hare but i think that they will be classified as their own free-standing species soon...

:thumbs:

The Irish hare (lepus timidus hibernicus) is a sub-species to the mountain hare (lepus timidus) and only accursed in Ireland.

Having arrived as the ice sheets melted 10,000 years ago.

The Irish hare does not go totally white in winter, and only has 2 moults a year, rather than 3 and generally stays brown through the winter, though they may become pale, or develope white patches.

Edited by slip lead

So are there any brown hares in Ireland?

yes

whites are the equivalent of a pet rabbit lol

You obviously haven't ran the correct whites then . In the deep heather they are easy. It's due to the hare being handicapped by the deep heather. I dare say that a brown hare would struggle too if it had to run through heather 12-15 inches high. On short terrain the whites put up a good run. I've taken lads out with top class hare dogs and they've not caught even half of what whites they ran.....

whites and browns and irish are all different animals and should be treat as such.

Pet rabbit! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ran a lot more hares than you of all colours stick to writing books :thumbs:

Edited by desertbred

You obviously haven't ran the correct whites then . In the deep heather they are easy. It's due to the hare being handicapped by the deep heather. I dare say that a brown hare would struggle too if it had to run through heather 12-15 inches high. On short terrain the whites put up a good run. I've taken lads out with top class hare dogs and they've not caught even half of what whites they ran.....

whites and browns and irish are all different animals and should be treat as such.

A big statement to make. But not as big as they run like "pet rabbits". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Run a few more whites on the right terrain and you might just change your tune old chap. :cray:

A big statement to make. But not as big as they run like "pet rabbits". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Run a few more whites on the right terrain and you might just change your tune old chap. :cray:

you offering to teach me?

No thanks, you're not my type.

• Like 2

No thanks, you're not my type.

says it all I think :bye:

• Like 2

As has been said the english and irish hares are a diffrent species the nearest relative of the irish hare is the belgium blue hare .I have being saying for a long time that yea cant compare the two in running styles.They are very different around here. Try and stop one at the right time of year when he is heading for the shore line and yea better have a dog with lots of speed amd even if he dose get turned of his path he wont slow he will put everything into getting their .Where as if the brown hare is turned a few times he tends to try and out stay the dog and try and break now and then.Different ball game I.M.H.O :hmm:

Edited by welcome