Vet Asking About Docked Tail. Advice?

Hi folks, my other half had our Lakey at the vet today. This was the 4th appointment since we got her. Her tail is docked although we weren't given a docking certificate ;-/

The vet today decided to ask a few searching questions although nothing has been mentioned up until now. The bitch was purchased in Wales and we live in Scotland. We were advised to contact the breeder, who in turn would contact their vet to send us a copy of the certificate

This had already been explained at a previous appointment and passed without concern.

Where do I stand on this and should the vet be asking again when it's already been explained without concern.

Many thanks

Phitt

Hi folks, my other half had our Lakey at the vet today. This was the 4th appointment since we got her. Her tail is docked although we weren't given a docking certificate ;-/

The vet today decided to ask a few searching questions although nothing has been mentioned up until now. The bitch was purchased in Wales and we live in Scotland. We were advised to contact the breeder, who in turn would contact their vet to send us a copy of the certificate

This had already been explained at a previous appointment and passed without concern.

Where do I stand on this and should the vet be asking again when it's already been explained without concern.

Many thanks

Phitt

My vet doesn't bother his hoop, lives on a farm and knows the script with working dogs, where in edinburgh are you based?

While waiting on replies I had a look into it. Ok, there is no cert and never will be. This was brought up at first consultation and the vet explained the docking laws and I said I was aware of them. I explained the dog was done in Wales. No problem. The RCVS gives guidance to vets that this is how the subject should be broached so as not to harm the vet/client relationship. No problem again, I understand this approach. I think they picked up from my demeanour that I wasn't too interested in what they had to say and that it is what it is.

I'm just a bit pi$$ed off that the subject was mentioned again when it was only my other half with the dog at the appointment.

Think I'll be having a wee word in their shell like at the next visit and just tell it like it is. I realise they are just doing their job but they've already acted against their governing bodies guidance by asking repeatedly.

I'm staying with this vet as they have probably the best practice in the UK and I've had my previous dogs treated there without problem. At the end of the day there's absolutely nothing they can do about it unless I requested the procedure or did it myself.

Funny how they never asked about my springer although that was before the ban but it makes no difference to the welfare of the dog. Still allowed to dew claw though? The law is an ass!

Cheers for the replies folks.

Anyone else had this problem?

• Like 1

No business of the vets ask him to check law for himself working breed allowed to be docked be careful if he is asking to many questions change vet he has no right to ask for cert

Scotland as an outright ban on docking .

The vet sounds like an animal rights activist, nosey bastarding kunt has no business doing that, They think their royalty, the rspca really has got them brain washed, and look. At the dymented thread we all know wha their vets did to his dog, vets are worth the watching these days they'd sink you quicker than the titanic, as I said before my mate got the police phoned on him by the vets in millisle and his dog only hit a bridge and tore it's shoulder investigating animal cruelty?.?? Wankers said that they walked in off the street and seen the dog, funny how in the arse hole of nowhere with no foot paths in the middle of the countryside the filth walks in. Be careful

I am glad this subject came up,as I have turned dogs down with no dock cert,my vets nosy and it makes it very awkward for me, its a shit law that causes nothing but suffering to working dogs,put in place through the influence of bigoted idiots in the kennel club and do good society,