Making Equipment

CrowHawker

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noticing more and more people are buying ready made kit? Is the art of making your own kit dieing out?

I like to dabble a bit I have made my own kit and had a go at lures and hoods all sizes just for the hell of it. I don't have the time to spend on making hoods any more, But it does not take long to k

No drinking I've been up the dales for the evening lol. I was just giving my opinion on a thread you started. Give me one example of how making my own equipment will make my hawk a better worker and I

Nothing wrong with my craftsmanship I think it's cheating when I was mentored I learnt leather work making anklets,bewits,Jessie's etc before I was aloud to touch a bird. Think it's a dieing thing now. All the people I have mentored have to learn leatherwork first. It's a shame really is!

I agree, I try to make everything I can, and get pleasure from doing it, as I see it as being a part of falconry itself, but I have to say the quality I have seen from A. Clarke is superb, the man does make some very high quality items, I bought a leather pad lure from him a couple of years back, and the craftmanship shines through, it has lasted even with a redtail with feet like t rex grabbing it lol.

I buy everything in, I don't want to learn how to make stuff and I don't feel I'm missing out by never learning. It is obviously seen as important by many in the falconry world but coming from the other hunting sports it's not an issue for me in any way. You get ferreting and terrierman who make their own nets but when I was using nets I could buy superb nylon nets way better than anything I could have made for a good price. When I used stop nets out with the ferrets and lurchers I used the carbon poles and rubber grommets rather than cutting and drying my own hazel sticks. Some people make lovely dog collars but they are wasted on my dogs so i use nylon collars for dogs and ferrets. So when I got a hawk I bought stuff, I cannot see why this is a bad thing.

I don't get why it's such a big deal, times moves on. I use ferret finders not liners like the old days or waiting around so am I as good as the old boys were are ferreting......,probably not but I get more done lol. Telemetry is an essential part of falconry now yet we cannot make it ourselves, nor do I have the facilities to make a hawk bath or a plastic hawk box which can never be made as good as what can be bought.

Most importantly time is precious, I want to be out hunting and fishing as much as possible I don't even tie my own fishing rigs now because the shop bought ones are so good. Sorry to rant but I feel pretty strongly about this subject.

Edited by pointer

Your absolutely right, I cannot be fecking bothered. If that makes me a knob that's just fine, I stand behind what I posted. If you feel you have to make your own gear to be the real deal then make EVERYTHING yourself. In fact go to the abatoir and obtain and cure your own leather, anything less is cheating lol.

I like to dabble a bit I have made my own kit and had a go at lures and hoods all sizes just for the hell of it. I don't have the time to spend on making hoods any more, But it does not take long to knock up some anklets and jessies. It has given me the sence of doing it right. But I don't have an issues with people buying in I have purchased hoods and don't make my own blocks or bows. I do like to see people make their own kit and some do it better than other you should see my hoods compared to a real pros !!

I'm happy either way !! I still take my bird back to the breeder to get him kitted up A he's a real pro and B it's good to catch up and have a good chat before the season starts.

All the best what ever you do!!

Lee C

• Like 1

No drinking I've been up the dales for the evening lol. I was just giving my opinion on a thread you started. Give me one example of how making my own equipment will make my hawk a better worker and I'll agree your right. I'm flying the same Harris as last season, one hawk is more than enough for me.........I'd hate to become one of those pricks that keeps a load of barely used birds of prey. It's bad enough they have to sit in an aviary for months during the moult.

• Like 1

I only make jesses, I have made anklets, but I'm more than happy to buy in.....I don't feel bad about it, but I can understand why people do feel its an important part of hunting with a hawk....

But for me, falconry is only ever been about hunting with a hawk, I'm not too fussed about some of the other aspects of it.....I can't even stand falconry displays, they bore me to tears.....

I just like being out in the field & if buying in stuff makes my life easier, then that's fine by me...

You could say telemetry is some what cheating, because it cuts out a hell of a lot of field craft.....something I feel is far more important, than knocking up some leather anklets...

• Like 1

I'm not saying anyone is wrong with buying in,I'm say people should no how too as it is apart of training a bird.falconry is not just about hunting with a bird surel.it's about the journey from beginning training a fresh hawk to your first kill and many more to come.