How Often Do You Clean Your Hmr

I used to clean my hmr after every outing. I don't anymore. While it's shooting accurately I don't clean the bore. I think there's more likely to be damage to the bore from unnecessary over cleaning. Also, I don't find there to be any noticeable change in zero from a change in ammo. Maybe it's just my rifle that's not fussy though.

I read somewhere that you should clean your HMR after 25 rounds, as for some reason ammo is quite dirty. I'm not sure after how many rounds I clean mine, as I do it on a when I have time basis, but I imagine between 25 and 50 rounds. I use VFG cleaning felts for mine, which I think are aimed towards target shooters, so they can't be bad. They just wipe down the barrel, and are much softer and less harsh than a brush. I spray the first felt with Ballistol, and just put as many through it until they're coming out clean. I imagine after using a bronze brush every 25 rounds, there wouldn't be much left of your barrel.

I find that I lose my zero straight after cleaning, but after 2 or 3 shots, the barrel gets fouled a bit, and the zero starts to come back.

On another shooting page, someone's moderator expoloded on their HMR, and they attributed it to insufficient cleaning.

After cleaning every outing, did you find a shift in zero?

For the first few shots, then it settles back down again.

Then I carry on shooting while the accuracy remains. I always remove the moderator to store as most of the dirt stays in there and will drop into the barrel if the gun is stored upright with mod still on. I've had no problems in years.

I once read that ballistic tips shred into bits and leave shards of shrapnel in the meat of rabbits. However true or likely untrue this is I don't suppose I'll ever know.

The CCIs are really accurate, but my RFD didn't have any so I went for the Federal

I hope they are just as accurate as the CCI, but only time will tell. I also hope not to find shards of the bullet in my signature rabbit curry!!

Thanks